ASUS X555LA-DB51 Notebook

rgpierce2007

Estimable
Dec 21, 2014
Where is the Microsoft coa for this laptop?
How can I make backup DVD's for restoring this laptop, Do not see that option in the applications?

Solution
I am assuming that it is Windows 8/8.1 if there is no COA.

Agreed, I would clone the system. Your other choice is to have purchased an install disk when you bought it, as recovery disks are fairly useless if you have real issues or the HDD dies.

Your activation key is stored in the bios, and if you want to know what it is open an elevated command prompt window (right click open as admin) and type in this string:

powershell "(Get-WmiObject -query ‘select * from SoftwareLicensingService’).OA3xOriginalProductKey"

Since you have an OEM install, you can reinstall with your key if you can find the DVD image: en_windows_8.1_with_update_x64_dvd_4065090

Unfortunately, MS only provided it on MSDN, unlike the free distribution of Windows 7...

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
the best way would be to-

buy a $50, 500gb external hard drive, use "file history" in the control pannel to make a backup of your system, make sure to make a system image backup when you set up file history and schedule the backups.

otherwise if all you want is a system restore disk, inside that same file history shortcut there should be an option on the left hand side to "create a system repair disk" and to "create a system image"; you'll need a dvd or usb for the repair disk, you can use that backup drive i suggested you buy for the system image disk.

RealBeast

Distinguished
I am assuming that it is Windows 8/8.1 if there is no COA.

Agreed, I would clone the system. Your other choice is to have purchased an install disk when you bought it, as recovery disks are fairly useless if you have real issues or the HDD dies.

Your activation key is stored in the bios, and if you want to know what it is open an elevated command prompt window (right click open as admin) and type in this string:

powershell "(Get-WmiObject -query ‘select * from SoftwareLicensingService’).OA3xOriginalProductKey"

Since you have an OEM install, you can reinstall with your key if you can find the DVD image: en_windows_8.1_with_update_x64_dvd_4065090

Unfortunately, MS only provided it on MSDN, unlike the free distribution of Windows 7 disks.

Solution