Solved! Asus Zenbook i7-4510u running too hot

BorealMind

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015
Hi, i'm the new owner of an Asus UX303LN series. I'm perfectly satisfied with the computer so far yet i notice that it is running noticeably hotter than my previous computer (i3-4030u) even when the processor is set at say 70% power limit which would put both at an equal power theoretically. My processor while simply working on the internet goes as high as 65 or 70 degrees Celsius. That's a temperature i struggled to reach even in gaming with the i3. The fan can barely be heard most of the time so i'm wondering if it's not simply wrongly configured. It says it is rotating at constant 3.000 RPM. Is there a way to alter the fan speed and make it more effective? Thank you.

vrumor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
You probably couldve condensed all 3 of your posts relating to the same thing basically, in 1 post. So let me try and answer all 3. You can turn your fan on 100%, if you can handle the noise. Also keep it on a flat hard surface, no laps, pillows, or blankets should prop it up. About your flickering screen at 100% brightness, did you contact ASUS and ask them is this normal, is it something that can be fixed? About your hinges, I wouldnt mess with them at all. They probably last as long as they do cause of the way they are constructed and installed. If you dont want to break them, be easy with opening and closing and careful you dont drop it, hit it against something etc. Laptops can be fragile.

BorealMind

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015

I divided it into three posts for it to be less intellectually challenging for users such as you.

BorealMind

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015

It's completely new, could that really be the case?

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015

Yes. Thermal paste dries out. Haswell CPUs went out of production several years ago.

BorealMind

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015

Thank you.

BorealMind

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015

As a latest development to this case, prior to dismantling my laptop i've discovered that the extremely high temperatures were caused by the QHD display. Once the resolution is lowered to HD or FHD (blurry) the temperatures reside around 40 degrees Celsius.