Asus Zenbook-UX31a control key not working

Wei_75

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
The issue concerns both ‘Ctrl’ keys on the keyboard of the Asus Zenbook-UX31a notebook, it is NOT functioning. The functionality of the ‘Ctrl’ key is either non-functional or disabled (physically or programmatically in the OS). Examples: (1) During editing in a ‘Word’ document, type in (or press the) ‘Ctrl’+A (keys) will NOT select (highlight) the content of the document, it just display ‘a’ character on where the cursor resides. (2) Use the famous ‘Ctrl+Alt+Del’ will NOT bring up the Task Manager. (3) Any functions require using the ‘Ctrl’ key will NOT work.

This is a brand new system – how can this issue be resolved.

ratedk

Distinguished
First, check the keyboard language settings > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258824

Others have resolved the issue by pressing Alt+Ctrl+FN.

If the problem persists, try the on-screen keyboard and/or a usb keyboard. If either of these two options work, you may need to have the keyboard replaced.

It is common when hardware is failing that it will work intermittently until it fails completely - which makes trouble shooting difficult until complete failure happens.

Wei_75

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013

Thanks (Ratedk) for the suggestions.

Prior to your suggestions I did test using a USB keyboard, it works. Looks like I have two defective ‘Ctrl’ keys; all other keys are working. I will have to return the unit for keyboard replacement.

Methods 1 and 2 do not apply I’ve checked kb258824 and ‘Alt+Ctrl+Fn’.

Thank you, again.