AT&T Blocks Non-Market Apps From Androids

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I first seen this new phone yesterday. My 3 year old phone was gonna be replaced by it this week as I'm not an "i" anything person. Now I just might be done with ATT's crappy service for good after 12 years. The whole point of the droid system is for it to be open. Hell you can get the iPhone 3GS for $99 in just a week or so, why pay more for this if you can't use it for what it's intended?

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
How is it that AT&T still has customers? Piss poor call quality, dropped calls, pathetic data rates... Customers must be blinded by marketing. They really are a crappy company! Switch to Sprint or Verizon. You'll be glad you did.

kiren

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
My current phone contract with sprint is up in 6 weeks, so I've been taking a look at all the carriers lately, and it really is starting to seem to me like AT&T is trying to drive people away, what with the crippling of their data plans, poor android phone selection, finally announcing a new one, but doing this to it? I mean really, are they expecting to make it purely on being the only iPhone carrier?

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Too bad the nation's most reliable network is turning into Apple. I guess I'll have to switch to Verizon and get less voice coverage in exchange for an uncrippled phone.

sakanagai

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
Solution: Buy an unlocked phone elsewhere (Nexus One and Milestone come to mind).

Better: Use any carrier but AT&T.

I'm sticking with AT&T until they either axe my corporate discounts or remove my unlimited data.

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
I fully expect that this will become the standard practice for all carriers. From what I've read, WinMo7 is going to favor this practice.

Totally sucks, but I understand all the legal ramifications of a carrier providing a phone tied to their service and that phone allowing piracy, not to mention their network allowing piracy.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
They're trying to pull us back to Big Media of the Old Days. You know, when someone controlled our distribution channels VERY tightly.

Asscuntdickflaps.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Consumers looking for a pure Android device may just want to stick with carriers other than AT&T.

This also applies to consumers looking for a signal.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Yes, I'm sure AT&T is protecting us from pirated and possibly potentially dangerous software, and not simple preventing people from downloading apps it fears will further cripple its overwhelmed network. Of course, with the new data plan structures, I would think AT&T would encourage everyone to use as much data as they can, rake in those hefty overage fees.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]azr[/nom]Can it be bypassed / jailbroken ?[/citation]

The OS is open source and public. This makes jail breaking most android phones trivial at best. Jail breaking will void the warranty and if AT&T finds your phone jail broken they could terminate your contract without warning.

I am not technically allowed to take the sim out of my iPhone and put it in my old Moto Razor (AT&T phone) because my contract indicates that sim is inside an iPhone 3G. It works, and is exactly what I did when my first iPhone battery wouldn't last 10 minutes stand-by-time while under a year old.

It is their network, and they control it the way they want within their legal rights. We as consumers have the right to find someone else who's business practices are more agreeable.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]zaznet[/nom]The OS is open source and public. This makes jail breaking most android phones trivial at best. Jail breaking will void the warranty and if AT&T finds your phone jail broken they could terminate your contract without warning.I am not technically allowed to take the sim out of my iPhone and put it in my old Moto Razor (AT&T phone) because my contract indicates that sim is inside an iPhone 3G. It works, and is exactly what I did when my first iPhone battery wouldn't last 10 minutes stand-by-time while under a year old.It is their network, and they control it the way they want within their legal rights. We as consumers have the right to find someone else who's business practices are more agreeable.[/citation]
When you buy a phone from a carrier you have the right to do whatever you want with it as long as you don't cause any damage to the carrier's network. If I buy an HTC Aria, for example, then my contract does not state anywhere that I can't legally root the phone. If I buy postpaid service from AT&T with a Nexus One and at some point get a 2 year contract by switching to a promotional rate plan I'm still well within my right to install unofficial applications.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]When you buy a phone from a carrier you have the right to do whatever you want with it as long as you don't cause any damage to the carrier's network.[/citation]Don't fool yourself. You have the right to do whatever they are willing to allow you to do and they can change their minds whenever they want. Here is a bit of the AT&T contract that limits your use of any device on their network.
DEVICE
Your Device must be compatible with, and not interfere with, our service and must comply with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations. We may periodically program your Device remotely with system settings for roaming service, to direct your device to use network services most appropriate for your typical usage, and other features that cannot be changed manually. Devices purchased for use on AT&T's system are designed for use exclusively on AT&T's system ("Equipment"). You agree that you will not make any modifications to the Equipment or programming to enable the Equipment to operate on any other system. AT&T may, at its sole and absolute discretion, modify the programming to enable the operation of the Device on other systems. You can get details on AT&T policies for modifying Equipment by calling 1-866-246-4852.

Status
Not open for further replies.