AT&T Cracking Down on Cell Data Usage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Why does it matter if we download "beefy" apps or watch HD content? I've had my iphone for 5 months now and to my knowledge, the only way to download apps that are >10MB or watch high def video from youtube is to be connected to WI-FI.

Scotteq

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
So... Let me get this straight: If you can even *find* AT&T's 3G Network, they don't want you to actually want you to *use* it!?!?

This keeps up: Either 'Droid sales will increase, or Apple will finally wise up, realize how much dead weight their provider is, and cancel the exclusive deal.

Preferably both.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]No. It goes like this, AT&T:I paid for it, I get it. That's what the contract says.[/citation]

By legal standards, I'm pretty sure that once either party violates their end of the contract, the contract itself becomes void. So essentially, if they don't hold up their end of the contract, you're not obligated to remain a customer for the rest of your contractual term.

So I suppose there'd be grounds for a massive class action suit against AT&T if they do change things, and then try to force customers to pay fees to break contract when they decide to get a real cellular provider.

G

oh AT&T...will it never stop?

Not only is the data plan UNLIMITED (do you know what that means de la Vega?? need a dictionary?) but it is also the ONLY data plan option and is FORCED on iphone users. If you are going to force unlimited data plans on all Iphones, you probably should have expected the top 5% of users to use 50% of your capacity.

at least the heavy 3% of users are getting their moneys worth. Why can't you just be happy with the money you are gouging from the other 97% of users.

timberwolf1128

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Oh i love it. They force you to purchase there data plan but then don't actually want you to use it.

I also love how they speak of bandwidth as if its gone once you use it.

G

First, when I complained to AT&T about my iPhone downloading 75 MB over their cell connection while I was sleeping, their response was, "don't worry about it, you have an unlimited data plan." To which I responded, I don't care about your network but rather that my phone is sending out data without my knowledge or consent.

Second, I heard de la Vega was a candidate to replace Fritz at GM. Let's hope he goes. He'll fit in well at Government Motors.

Alathorne

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Left hand right hand. I received an email offer for my no-contract GO Phone yesterday, offering unlimited call and data for $60/month. Go figure....

phexac

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Never bought into the whole smartphone thing, so I just have a regular phone that...makes calls. I spend most of my day in front of the computer, so I don't really see the need to pay extra $30 a month to have internet on my phone. If I did though, I'd be super pissed that the iPhone is ATT exclusive.

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
We've got to get them to understand what represents a megabyte of data
The data plans are sold as unlimited, so they can educate them all they want - I don't see why customers should care.
AT&T subscribers have no clue as to the amount of data they're actually consuming
Did they just say their subscribers are dumb?

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]warlord1312[/nom]Do not tell me that it is going to be like Comcast with a bandwidth limit because in our modern age that should not be acceptable. They should just upgrade their network if it cannot keep up with its customers demands.[/citation]
comcast has bandwidth limits ... damn i didnt know that ... guess i';l stick to dsl in my area was cosndiering cable but only cable provider here is comcrap ... yeah i'll stick to my dsl that deosnt care how much i download.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]I feel like i'm watching dumb and dumber on my PC.................[/citation]
LOL don't insult that movie, at&t is much dumbier .. (dur) !

LOL jokes aside this is the dumbiest move at7t has ever made.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
ever since AT&T (SBC) acquired bellsouth and their cingular network things have gone from ok to down right horrible. I had to drop my home phone service from them because their rates went up and their customer service went down. Their DSL went from 3Mb/s to around 1Mb/s and amazingly they couldn't explain what happened. AT&T is the worst re-branded company of our generation! Just die already!!!

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
I never really knew which is better Verizon or AT&T because am living far away from their services... but after this article... honestly... AT&T should be ashamed...

Status
Not open for further replies.