AT&T Cracking Down on Cell Data Usage

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]comcast has bandwidth limits ... damn i didnt know that ... guess i';l stick to dsl in my area was cosndiering cable but only cable provider here is comcrap ... yeah i'll stick to my dsl that deosnt care how much i download.[/citation]

Can your crappy DSL do this? http://www.speedtest.net/result/648242775.png

Didn't think so.

fooldog01

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
And yet they just recently decided to force smartphone users to purchase unlimited data... talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

fooldog01

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Can your crappy DSL do this? http://www.speedtest.net/result/648242775.pngDidn't think so.[/citation]

Dude, some people seriously dont care about being able to download the whole internet in 3 minutes flat. I know I sure don't, otherwise I would be paying more to get a faster option. In fact, your "pissing contest" attitude about download speed is actually laughably pathetic.

marsax73

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
It's amazing that they can boast about what the iphone and other smartphones CAN do but now they want to limit what we will do??? Amazing...less than a year left on my contract and I'm out! Tired of mediocre service.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]D_Kuhn[/nom]Looks like Apple jumped on the wrong bandwagon.[/citation]
They specifically went with ATT because they knew no other providers could handle the load. Everyone using another provider and bad mouthing ATT should be happy the iPhone is locked to them. Looking at the main PDF found on the link below you can extrapolate the usage to so that the iPhone accounts for 50% of all smart phone requests in the world and more specifically the US. Since the iPhone is tied to ATT, the data usage is equal to every other smart phone provider in the country COMBINED. So be glad the iPhone is not on Verizon or T-Mobile, because if it was your network would not even function.

http://www.knowyourcell.com/news/368759/iphone_dominates_global_smartphone_data_traffic.html

9d3tsi

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
"iPhone users downloading beefy apps and streaming hi-def video online"

Where is this so called hi-def video? Ever watch a youtube video on 3g?? It looks awful. It reminds me of real video when it first started out. And not to mention the fact that at&t already limits Iphone bandwidth when connecting 3G. Not to mention that I'm paying an extra $50 a month for in internet connection that is barely 1m down. I cant tether either right? So it's the customers fault that your network doesn't perform as advertised? Perhaps if you applied the revenue generated from your outrageous fees to upgrading your network..... You wouldn't have these problems.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]zargonog[/nom]oh AT&T...will it never stop?Not only is the data plan UNLIMITED (do you know what that means de la Vega?? need a dictionary?) but it is also the ONLY data plan option and is FORCED on iphone users. If you are going to force unlimited data plans on all Iphones, you probably should have expected the top 5% of users to use 50% of your capacity.at least the heavy 3% of users are getting their moneys worth. Why can't you just be happy with the money you are gouging from the other 97% of users.[/citation]

Thank you for stating this. I was scratching my head as well thinking to myself...didn't at&t just tell us that they are going to start forcing people to take the data plan because they didn't want you take your phone and use someone else?

I live in Dallas and have been hearing a lot of commercials about city wide 4G service from Clear and Time Warner. Seems like at&t is trying to hold back the inevitable while offering nothing for it's customers. This appears to be a lot of the business plans out there nowadays.

@blackened144 - you are an at&t douche bag. When you go to work today tell them they suck and I will be shutting down 3 lines on our family plan very soon. Santa is bringing us Verizon for Christmas. Ho-Ho-Ho you asshat.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]bill gates is your daddy[/nom]@blackened144 - you are an at&t douche bag. When you go to work today tell them they suck and I will be shutting down 3 lines on our family plan very soon. Santa is bringing us Verizon for Christmas. Ho-Ho-Ho you asshat.[/citation]
Wow. I didnt realize your personal honor was so tied up in ATT that a few statistics showing the data usage of the iPhone would turn your entire world upside down. And just because your psychotic, does not make you psychic. I sure as shit dont work at ATT. Was that supposed to actually be an insult?

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
hmmm ... What makes me laugh is that the "Knuckle Headed Suits" didn't see this coming from Day 1... Remember the day when "The Makers of Yore" said "You will never need more than 640k" ? hmmm ... somebody isn't admitting to saying that at AT&T... but someone did... you know it ... AT&T !!! You messed up !!! BIG TIME!

jdog2076

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I'm not defending AT&T in any way, but I think a lot of people around here need to learn how wireless bandwidth actually works. It's nowhere near as unlimited as wired connections. You only have a certain frequency range in which to transmit data as specified by the FCC. A limited frequency range means limited bandwidth, since there's only so many ways one can attempt to cram ever-increasing data through a confined space. Now, I don't personally know to what extent AT&T could improve their network given the current technology, but the fact is there are physical limits to wireless bandwidth. Until technology matures and researchers figure out ways to transmit more data per MHz, we're stuck with that reality.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
rofl.

damn, when I was in Hong Kong, I never had any problem streaming network, from both 3 and Smartone. Both has 3G. and yeah, I download extremely fast with no down time/disconnects.

AT&T? ROFL. Kiss my ass.

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
So, instead of building a larger network that can handle the load, they want their unlimited subscriber to cut down on their data usage that they pay out the ass for? I hate that I pay $30 per month for EDGE..

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Two(3?) words: FAIL AT&T.[/citation]
5 words... Fail American Telephone and Telegraph.

arrghushakaboorga

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
As I'm writing this there's a Luke Wilson ad on TV. Such a horrible commercial. I'd like to point out that on my BlackBerry there's a MyVerizon app that tells me all of my usages in real time

Status
Not open for further replies.