AT&T Customers Still Very Unhappy With Service

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkeopka

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
One time I was on the phone with AT&T trying to change my plan and the call got dropped. Oh the irony. They didnt bother to call me back either, so I had to call and wait again.

Now that I have switched from a 3GS to a Nexus One, I wont be sticking with AT&T any longer. As soon as my contract is up I will be out of there.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
I hate the fact that I pay so much for voice and data, but I cannot get access to AT&T's "3G" service outside of any small metropolitan areas. I cannot even get access to any of the AT&T wireless service(voice and/or data) from my home and my girlfriend works for AT&T(in a very sensitive area of the company). I just do not understand what AT&T is spending their billions of dollars in profit on.

My girlfriend tells me that there is at least one department within AT&T that is running batch files to convert towers over to UMTS all day long, but I have yet to see any improvements or any increase in UMTS coverage. If AT&T will get their business together, then they could really be a great company. Therein is the problem.

AT&T has horrible customer service now a days. They have so many lazy and useless people(their Atlanta area offices are some of the worst) and it does not appear to be getting any better. Their engineering department is continually resistant to doing their job and so many departments are severely back-logged on repairs and new installations. Until AT&T fixes glaring issues with their manpower, their service will continue to suffer.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Granted, I'm not a phone user, but 4.5% That seems really low for amount of calls over 90 days. As good as having 0 dropped calls would be, 4.5% doesn't seem that terrible at all... Especially if you make lots of calls.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Well I have Verizon and I can say that dropped calls have been very rare and usually predictable based on certain geographic locations (cell tower coverage areas).

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]AT&T has horrible customer service now a days. They have so many lazy and useless people(their Atlanta area offices are some of the worst) and it does not appear to be getting any better. Their engineering department is continually resistant to doing their job and so many departments are severely back-logged on repairs and new installations. Until AT&T fixes glaring issues with their manpower, their service will continue to suffer.[/citation]

You would not believe the disorganization and lack of forward planning in AT&T's upgrade and growth project management.

Just to give you an example: the Winter Olympics this year in Vancouver. Now exactly how long has everyone on the entire planet known the 2010 Winter Olympics was coming to the Pacific Northwest of North America?

Well, AT&T decided to notify their tech contractors and vendors that they wanted to upgrade some cell sites in the United States Pacific Northwest - just three weeks before the Winter Olympics festivities started. Now who here wants to guess that AT&T, one of the sponsors of the Winter Olympics this year mind you, was able to upgrade all of their cell towers in the region in that time?

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Been using T-Mobile for over 9 years now. Only carrier I've ever used, wouldn't think of switching. Got the phone I like, a package I can change to my needs whenever I like, and they're the only ones who don't have a 5 GB a month bandwidth cap on "unlimited" internet access, and I can talk and surf simultaneously. AT&T, VZW and Sprint all do that.

nukem950

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
Well after switching from Verizon to AT&T, the number of dropped calls has gone down quite a bit. Then again I do not have one of those "smart" phones. Also the 3g is great and I never have any issues.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]jn77[/nom]I second that the customer service reps are great, but what AT&T does not get is that their plans are horrible and no body wants a contract.And while this is not "At&T's" fault, but if I can buy a netbook and a magic jack for $399 total with no contract, there is no way that the phone manufactures can claim a crazy MSRP with out a contract for a cell phone.the netbook has 3 times the manufacturing cost than a cell phone. that means an Iphone is retail value to a customer is maybe $150, not $699 same for black hairy, and the like[/citation]

Cheaper to make? Look at what cell phones have:

1) Flash memory/storage (ok, 16gb isn't very expensive anymore, but it used to be)
2) High pixel-density screens
3) Capacitive touch screens

I'm not saying they aren't overpriced, but I think it's wrong to say they should only cost $150-200.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]vant[/nom]Why must GSM carriers suck.I like asian markets better. Buy whatever phone you want, plug the SIM of any carrier you want.Done. No carrier 'locks', no contracts. EASY.[/citation]

dude the Asian market is GSM

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
I never had luck with AT&T or Verizon in my area, dropped calls galore, Sprint however is rock solid. I've never had a dropped call, I get 3G out in the boonies and the prices are reasonable.

It all depends on the area you live in, whose coverage will be better or worse for you. /shrug

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
i can hardly stand my At&T, but other than verizon it offers the best service in my area and is cheaper than verizon

contract is up in a few months and looking at possibly cricket

G

Switched from Sprint to Verizon in March... (Moto Droid) I have yet to have a dropped called, however on Sprint I would drop after aboud 2 minutes of talking.. Couldnt get signal in the basement.. Now I can walk around the basement with NO problems. Friends with AT&T (Especially the iPhone) can't even get a signal where I live. They go out of service immediately as they turn the corner into my neighborhood. I love rubbing it in thier faces too.

G

I wonder if the unsatified customers had quality phones. That was the reason for my unsatisfaction then upgraded to a Razr and havn't had a problem since. Very satisfied. AT&T also has excellent coverage on major highways.

G

I contracted for an ATT wireless device, had nothing but trouble, took it back after 7 days, was charged $35 restock, $40 tax, $64 usage. Verizon here I come.

Status
Not open for further replies.