AT&T Halts iPhone 4 Orders as eBay Prices Hit $5K

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
There are way too many people in the world with either too much money, too little sense, or a combination of the two. No cell phone, as in NONE, is worth $5000....period. Especially when dropped in water, traffic, or any of the other places that tend to kill cell phones.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Just to show you it's popular. But it's the same story across the industry. Every new hyped smartphone seems to sell out the first week or two. A few weeks later, the drool factor wore off and another one is being hyped. Regardless, I will get my iPhone 4, but can easily wait a month or two.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
eBay is a scam, especially with PayPal (check out the class-action lawsuits). I'll never do anyting on eBay or PayPal again. I got burned pretty good as a seller. Sold my Pioneer Nav/DVD/iPod rear view camera (for about 1/3 of retail cost) that was fully functional, not a single issue with it and even provide video of it working.

Once the buyer received it, the buyer opened an eBay case claiming that it didn't work (would not provide any details) and wants his money back. Next thing I know, my PayPal account is charged full "refund" money to the buyer (even though I specified No Returns Allowed). Buyer is under no obligation (eBay just asks) to return my item and the buyer basically got it for free while I'm stuck trying to dispute the PayPal charge. I've contacted Freed & Weiss LLC to added my name to the class action lawsuit against PayPal/eBay.

Anyway, I'm going to get an iPhone 4, but I'll wait until the hype and lines have died down, don't need to be the first to have one. I'll pick one up at an Apple store. Will never do eBay or PayBal (now the same company) ever again.

whitecrowro

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
The world has 6,827,700,000 inhabitants, and only 600,000 rushed to pre-order. That's only 0,009%. Please consider that ppl with IQ bellow 70 are 2.2%! So we're safe.

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
[citation][nom]chomlee[/nom]Buy it now price means nothing. I could put a turd on ebay and put buy it now for 1,000,000. It doesn't mean people will pay that much.[/citation]
Ahh but put an apple logo on it and call it an iTurd and watch the bids fly ;)

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
People (eh, rich one) who spends 5k on a friggin' piece of phone a few days early = stupid who knows nothing about taking care of money.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]chomlee[/nom]Buy it now price means nothing. I could put a turd on ebay and put buy it now for 1,000,000. It doesn't mean people will pay that much.[/citation]
I believe you missed the point. The 'bids' reached 5k, which means someone put in their bid for that amount, not that 'buy it now' price was that high.

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I am a little surprised. I am an iPhone fan. I had the original iPhone and then upgraded to the 3GS. Honestly though this newest one while nice didn't have any new feature I really ached for. I don't understand why people would want it so bad.

omenowl

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I ordered about half an hour before work tuesday (0530 cst). I had more issues in trying to update my shipping address more than actually ordering the phone. The apple store was down so I just went directly to the ATT store.

Overall I think it is a well designed smart phone and the iphone if nothing else made every other smart phone better. Features are nice, but usability is a must.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]kdw75[/nom]I am a little surprised. I am an iPhone fan. I had the original iPhone and then upgraded to the 3GS. Honestly though this newest one while nice didn't have any new feature I really ached for. I don't understand why people would want it so bad.[/citation]

Perhaps their lives are that disappointing and/or miserable that they have to look forward for a cell phone to come out to make them feel a hint of happiness...I dunno, I like my flip "dumb" phone, does the job for half the price. 99.98% of apps are useless.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Patience is a virtue.. I have no problem waiting until Christmas for the damned thing if required.. its just a phone. All the same people rushing out and buying these things on ebay, waiting for days in line, should head on over to the new brain line and secure a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.