AT&T Launching LTE 4G Network This Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Oh man I wish I had 4G!! I'm still running on Edge on an unlocked iPhone.

Now if AT&T would just drop it's ludicrous data plan pricing. At this speed you might get away with just having a phone (no home internet) and tethering it or setting up an access point though.

jimslaid2

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Actually I have Verizon 4G in Phoenix and I average around 27Mbps Down and 5Mbps Up. VZW is being conservative.

BTW I have grandfathered Unlimited Data so lets not go there.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Yay, another way for AT&T to anally violate the average consumer while stealing their money.

Apple ought to thank AT&T and Verizon for making them look good, like the fugly olive-oyl chick hanging with her 4 350lb friends at the club.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
The problem with these plans are the data caps. Who cares if you can hit 12Mbps when you have a 2 or 5GB cap?. I would love to have something like this tethered to my network and combine my phone/internet data, but streaming videos just eats bandwidth way too fast. When I was watch HD tv shows I was streaming over 1TB per month. Now that I am watching more SD content it isn't quite that bad, but it is still well over 250GB/mo (keep in mind this is with 3 people getting all of their TV show through the internet as we do not have cable, I don't think I have the free time to eat all of that bandwidth myself). Not to mention the high ping rate on 3/4G networks compared to everything else, but as I rarely game online that really isn't a pressing issue.

But anyways, remove the data cap and tethering fees and I would move on over to the smartphone age in a heartbeat. For now I will stick with my little nokia brick that simply makes phone calls.

G

"BTW I have grandfathered Unlimited Data so lets not go there" I also have grandfathered Unlimited Data with AT&T and guess what? I received a notice from AT&T about me tethering when in reality ALL i do is watch Netflix at work all day. My Iphone is factory, not jailbroken or unlocked, so im assuming they would love to get rid of "Unlimited"

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Who cares if it's "LTE!" AT&T is running it, so you'll be lucky to pull 2-3 Mbps, if that. They don't want to tell you what your real data rates are going to be so they just say "it varies." AT&T needs to learn how to build and maintain a network that can make a simple phone call without dropping before they can work on anything else!

G

Got Droid Bionic last week. ~16Mbps download. Takes seconds to download and install apps, butter smooth netflix / music streaming.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Oh man I wish I had 4G!! I'm still running on Edge on an unlocked iPhone. Now if AT&T would just drop it's ludicrous data plan pricing. At this speed you might get away with just having a phone (no home internet) and tethering it or setting up an access point though.[/citation]

Edge was the only network still working during 9/11. RIM makes us proud.

darknate

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
so let me get this straight....at&t had hspa+ for 4g and now is going with lte? i guess they can't make up their minds. i guess just having companies releasing new phones every few months wasnt enough to screw people out of their money, now your service provider is saying all those who bought a real 4g phone (not you apple people who dont know the difference from cellular 4g and 4th gen phone model) aren't going to have the speed you had before. give it a few years and then will switch to wimax just for fun. you you have to love at&t.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Wait for it.....wait for it.....what the heck? Did I miss it?

Let them build it (and get it to work) before we tear it down. Been using AT&T Mobility for a bazillion years now and have been happy 99.999999% of the time. For those rare cases when there have been issues, they made it right.

The marketing blitz around the "new" networks is just that until we see real-world benchmarks and independent analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS