AT&T Secretly Offering Unlimited Data Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
it's true that squeaky wheel gets the grease...

if a customer doesn't say anything, the business doesn't have to provide...

if there are better alternate, then by all means, go for it!

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
You want to make people really happy? Offer an automatic adjusting plan. Only charge me the $15 for the month if I use 250mb or less but pop me to the $25 if I use the 2Gb amount and then back down to $15 the next month if I'm under 250mb again.

There is zero reason you need to charge me exorbitant rates for every addition mb I use over my plan if I'm still well within the next tier that is only $10 more.

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
AT&T has always had unlimited data plans? At least I do on my phone.... on a family plan with family wide texting, it's only an extra $5 a month... Or is this referring specifically for smart phones like Blackberry, Adroid, Windows, and IPhone? I'm sporting an LG Vue Plus

george21546

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Kinda makes me think of my health insurance plan. The doctor bills the plan $150 and yet they take the $50 that the insurance pays.

G

@ikefu

Since when does a telco exist for the benefit of its customers?

G

No one mentions TEXT MESSAGING charges. I'm paying $20/month extra for this feature with AT&T, but my Verizon family plan includes unlimited text (SMS & MMS). On principle only, I'm ready to dump AT&T for this completely bogus fee.

G

and in return they had to surrender their souls for another 2 years.......

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]k hock[/nom]No one mentions TEXT MESSAGING charges. I'm paying $20/month extra for this feature with AT&T, but my Verizon family plan includes unlimited text (SMS & MMS). On principle only, I'm ready to dump AT&T for this completely bogus fee.[/citation]
Unless I missed it, which I doubt it, where is this Verizon plan with FREE and unlimited texting? The top plan I'm offered is $20 per month for 5000 text messages with unlimited mobile to mobile or with ATT I could get $20 for unlimited (basically level playing field). Where am I missing something?

PostmanPat

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]deralaand[/nom]@ikefuSince when does a telco exist for the benefit of its customers?[/citation]
I don't know if they still do it, but O2 in the UK used to do something like this... this was years ago when it was mostly calling minutes that made up plans but they had a 100 min, 500 min, 1000 min and unlimited tiered calling setup. They would automatically bill you for whichever plan was most appropriate, eg if you used 90 minutes one month and 9000 the next you'd pay for 100 plan the first month and unlimited plan the next. I was a big fan of this pricing policy.

@k hock... +1, I've heard that in-network text messaging is essentially a free service as far as the providers are concerned and going between networks only adds 3c which just makes me more mad about paying for them...

helldog3105

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I'm on Verizon and I have the family plan, and we don't get texting for free. I wonder who I call to yell at about that? Also remember that Verizon's unlimited data plan is like all the others... unlimited until you hit 4GB then they start charging you overages.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
At least you have this type of option in the USA, here in Canada we get 500MB for $25, and 1GB for $35. There is nothing higher than that, except overage charges.

G

I would say recently over the past few years, the competition in Canada has increased with better plans coming out of it than in the states. I used to wish we had the same deals, but now my plan is better than a lot of the horror stories I hear, and I have great service to boot. $65/month unlimited incoming calls, unlimited evenings/weekends, unlimited text/pic messaging, free voicemail and call display, 6GB data, then 100min for day use (not much but i don't really need any more). All 3 major carriers in Canada carry the Iphone, and all of their low cost sub companies do as well. I'm with Virgin on Bell's network and I love it. Then again, our cable tv is way more expensive and we don't get the same superbowl commercials... :(

Marcus Yam

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]At least you have this type of option in the USA, here in Canada we get 500MB for $25, and 1GB for $35. There is nothing higher than that, except overage charges.[/citation]
If you're in a major metropolitan area, you should check out the unlimited minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited data for $45/mo with Mobilicity or Wind.

iboomer

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Just checked my verizon bill, yep, I get unlimited text/vid/pic messaging, and I don't pay for it. Well, I pay for it, but not as a seperate line item.

Status
Not open for further replies.