AT&T to FCC: Drop The Landline Requirement

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blarneypete

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
Am I the only one whose biggest beef with this is that AT&T wants broadband regulatory jurisdiction on a federal level rather than a state level?

That would violate the 10th amendment. Too many things already violate it. Let's not add another.

satoshen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Dumped my landline a long time ago. If your internet service is not reliable, I'd suggest trying an alternative provider... I lose service perhaps once a year with cable. And the cel phones are there for redundancy. Also check into your local laws to see if a soft dialtone is provided in your area to give you 911 service from a disconnected landline. It seems like this is offered in at least half the states in the U.S. (research it online... the fcc and your telco won't be too forthcoming)

cdillon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Not just that, you can't send faxes on a VIOP line most of the time.[/citation]

Analog fax machines are archaic and need to die, like the floppy disk or the parallel port or dial-up. We've had the technology to send faxes over the Internet for years now, so let's just do it and drop the old analog fax crap.

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Isn't it also a national security thing. Knocking out a satellite, or a solar flare or something could render lots of people without communications. Land lines, while not as popular, still are useful.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
[citation][nom]mikeynavy1976[/nom]Isn't it also a national security thing. Knocking out a satellite, or a solar flare or something could render lots of people without communications. Land lines, while not as popular, still are useful.[/citation]
Copper wires sending electrical signals are not prone to EM?

aceofpacific

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
I know I am among the minority here, but I make a lot of international calls, and I have to keep my land line. The reason? Using cell phones for international calls is just too expensive, and VoIP's sound quality can be really bad for international calls (personal experience). Until they can make VoIP and mobile plans as cheap as and as reliable as land lines, I say keep it.

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
rbarone65 you have it wrong about verizon Fios VOIP option since it isnt a VOIP at all. The only thing that has changed from our traditional phone service is how we deliver it to your house. It still goes through traditional class 5 switches and therefore forces us to complicate the situation..remember most of the complications are brought to you by our wonderful fuzzy friends the FCC. We currently do not offer a VOIP option. We have however started to roll out a digital voice program called SIP. Call it a VOIP/Standard land line hybrid. Does not go through switches and instead goes through central servers. Is digital right up to the ONT (optical Network Terminal) And then converted to copper in your house. More options for you to change (you can log in and add/remove features at your own disgression) isnt regulated by the FCC and still gives you the ability to have your phone if the power goes out.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
[citation][nom]satoshen[/nom]Dumped my landline a long time ago. If your internet service is not reliable, I'd suggest trying an alternative provider... I lose service perhaps once a year with cable. And the cel phones are there for redundancy. Also check into your local laws to see if a soft dialtone is provided in your area to give you 911 service from a disconnected landline. It seems like this is offered in at least half the states in the U.S. (research it online... the fcc and your telco won't be too forthcoming)[/citation]

I am so fucking happy that you have multiple options for broadband internet providers. My only choices are dialup, shitty satellite internet(did I mention it is shitty...and expensive?), or continue to use Verizon Wireless Broadband(which is also rather shitty and we get spotty 3G coverage).

It is always assholes, like yourself, that think that just because you are swimming in option for broadband providers, then everyone must be as well. We also have to look past broadband internet and think about emergency services. I believe that everyone must be able to protect themselves, but you do need to have an EMS and fire service that can find your home in a timely manner.

Being previously in law enforcement, I can tell you that it was always a headache trying to find the location of someone calling 911 from a cellular phone and VoIP. With a landline call, we could track the location quickly and provide proper response time. Even today, there are many 911 centers that do not have the technology to track the location of a cellular phone call until long after the emergency event has occurred.

Perhaps, if these fucking fat-cat executives and money-hungry corporations were more worried about helping their fellow man and less about lining their pockets with the maximum amount of money possible, then we would have the technology advances we should have today. Since that is not likely to change, then nothing else will change. Hell, many government agencies are using the same, busted, old radio technology they have been using for the past 30+ years.

Neog2

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
[citation][nom]jabliese[/nom]Gee, maybe investing more money in ISDN would have been worth it? QQ more. Dear FCC, make a rule allowing phone companies to stop offering analog if they convert them to ISDN, mwuhahaha. AT&T better be careful, though. The obvious solution here is for the FCC to say, "OK, but you have to offer straight DSL at the same price as your old analog plans, not the bundled." And if analog lines are such a burden, why does AT&T force you to get landline service with your DSL, hmmm?Making less money losing money. Got any numbers backing up the assertion that AT&T loses money on landlines? For example, comparing revenue to maintenance? And, it seems to me AT&T should be reporting analog land line revenue with DSL anyway, they use the same copper.Ah, what a glorious day when I disconnected the land line. Whenever it rained enough, voice quality was anywhere from bad to horrible. They "fixed" it probably a dozen times. No fix lasted more than a month.[/citation]

Actually the statement about why that force you got a landline with the DSL is only true in some areas. Where I live it I can Get ATT DSL without paying for a landline. Its one price DSL only. Sure I techincally have a landline, but if i plug up a phone to it I cant make calls besides 911.
Now 15 minutes away in another state. Its not the same thing. You have to have atleast the $15 land line plan in order to sign up for DSL.

Just depends on where you live and the competition.

npaladin2000

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Fargus[/nom]AT&T only wants this because they bet the farm on their Uverse product. VOIP is not a reliable replacement for copper twisted pair, at least, not as it's currently being implemented. Lose power, lose your VOIP. AT&T supplied battery backups for consumers give only ~4 hours of run time (that's if the power doesn't fail at the cross-over boxes as well). Most customers will never think to check their UPS status and when they reach the end of their batteries lifespan, customers will suddenly lose their phone service and internet access if a power outage occurs.I've been in the red zone of a cat 5 hurricane and several cat 3+. No power for weeks to a month. Cell phone towers leveled and not rebuilt for over 4 months. Only thing that worked through both events was the simple, archaic copper pair landline (even had internet with a dial-up modem). Current VOIP services are just too dicey for emergencies.[/citation]

Remember that big blackout in the Northeaset? At the time I only had a landline, while most of my neighbors had cell phones. They still had service when the landlines gave up (they need power too you know). In fact, the landlines stopped working in UNDER 4 hours.

Landlines are getting to be ancient technology, and DSL is a poor excuse to keep it (and it sucks anyway). Faxes CAN in fact be sent over VOIP lines (I've done it) but PDFs over email work SO much better, and it's more likely people have a printer/scanner than a fax anyway.

Of course, if the landlines had NOT been privatized and stayed a regulated monopoly then loosing money would be less of a problem. But by now we've advanced beyond the need for them, and it really isn't cost-efficient for a private company to maintain them anymore. I challenge ANYONE to identify an area of this country that is uncovered by both Cellular AND broadband. Either one works for 911 now: in fact a cell is better than a landline in that regard (they provide your current GPS location to the call center, all of which are now supposed to be E-911 compliant).

There's two options here, both of which will ultimately doom copper landlines. One: AT&T will have to raise rates so high that it'll drive everyone off, at which point AT&T either drops the landlines or goes out of business (I guarantee it won't be the second one). Two: the Feds decide landlines are a necessary national resource and take them over. They proceed to mismanage them even worse, the prices go up, everyone drops them, and then the landlines go away.

So any way you look at it, the era of landlines is over. It's been over for a while now, we just needed to realize it.

npaladin2000

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]is north America really ready to give up the land line phone system? cell phone plans can be expensive and VOIP may still have some issues with emergency callsone thing with landlines i like is you get to see the name of the caller on the caller ID unlike a cellphone where all you get is the phone number. at least in canada that is how it works[/citation]

Works that way here too. Of course, if they number is in your phone's phonebook it'll match the record and show the name. And these days the name you get is "AT&T" or "Verizon Wireless" instead of a name anyway. Assuming it's not a telemarketer and it just shows "Unknown Caller."

Of course, with VOIP through the cable service some cable companies will show the Caller ID on the TV. :)

npaladin2000

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Butbutbut... landlines are so much cheaper.VoIP: my net is down once a week, too unreliable.Cellular: not everywere has coverage, useless if you have no battery life.Landline: Down once a month for me (being down for 12 hours in a 'well aged' (most of my neighbros are 50+) community is bad, really bad... luckily it seems these old guys wait til the lines are back up to have their heart attacks), but prove to be the most reliable.I say keep VoIP and landlines though. Landlines should be a free public service... what else do I pay out the arse in taxes for? I say rid of cell phone towers and proper 3G/4G/NG service nationally.[/citation]

Landlines aren't going to be cheaper for much longer. They're losing economies of scale. Costs the same or more to maintain but with fewer people paying into it means everyone still paying gets to pay more. Either that or I'm going to be taxed to pay for something I don't even want, which will annoy me.

JohnMD1022

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
"Landlines are getting to be ancient technology, and DSL is a poor excuse to keep it (and it sucks anyway)."

My DSL works well... And, I can afford it. Are you volunteering to pay my FIOS or cable bill?

Hmmmmmmmm ... I didn't think so.

npaladin2000

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]JohnMD1022[/nom]"Landlines are getting to be ancient technology, and DSL is a poor excuse to keep it (and it sucks anyway)."My DSL works well... And, I can afford it. Are you volunteering to pay my FIOS or cable bill? Hmmmmmmmm ... I didn't think so.[/citation]

I'm not volunteering to subsidize landlines just so that you can keep your DSL instead of joining the rest of us in the 21st century. You want it, you pay $90 a month for it. That's what it's going to cost soon enough, since they'll have to charge more just to break even now.

Can you still afford it? Thought not.

phillipmeyers99

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
"one in five Americans still use land-based analog services" Lie , every single person i know uses a normal phone line for calls. Saying that no one use them is a flat out lie. Maybe i would buy 1/5 do not use one for the majority of there calls, but saying only 1/5 does is a lie of epic proportions. Every one who visits this site could be seen as tech savy, not supprising that some have no need for land line. I have ATT and the fact that my over priced iphone drops calls all the time means it's never going to be a reliable replacement to the land line for a important call. 31 years old and i have never had a land line drop a call, my cell drops a call at least 2x a week. VOIP requires that everone be that tech savy, not gonna happen any time soon, sorry. I work in tech support, trust me 99% are so far from tech savy that i amazed they can even dial a phone.

G

yes people FIGHT THE POWER FUCK THE CORPORATE PIG THERE WILL BE A RISE IN ANARCHY BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT WILL SUPRESS TOO MUCH AND WE AVERAGE JOES WILL BE POOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
do you really want 911 and other services being tired to cell lines or VOIP?
not saying they arent reliable..but still, hardwired has its uses and needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.