AT&T to Make Millions Thanks to New 'Administrative Fee'

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
"It will cover expenses that AT&T incurs, including charges associated with cell rent sites and maintenance, as well as charges the carrier pays to interconnect with other carriers when delivering calls."
Because they were doing this for free, out of the goodness of their hearts before now. I mean, because my already $70 bucks a month bill is more like giving to charity for them, huh?
Now I'll just look forward to seeing the next bit of related news telling me that AT&T gets their asses handed to them in class action fees and everyone who's stuck with them gets to drop them and move to a fair carrier due to the Breach of Contract. (because calling it by another name doesn't make it any less a price hike)

n1tr0

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
"While customers may not be happy with the additional charge, it's unlikely this will affect their relationship with AT&T. After all" ... AT&T has the lowest customer satisfaction rating already (for the last 3 years running).
I just want to know if them slipping in extra charges while I'm stuck "on contract" is grounds to terminate the contract.I would love nothing more than to dump AT&T if not for the early termination fees.

spentshells

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
this is a change in contract anyone wanting to can cancel the account effective immediately for the first 30 days after the effective change. No early termination fees
it may be 60 days but why risk it.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
If every company keeps increasing their price and justifying it by citing other company practices, doesn't this defeat a competitive market? I think the justice department needs to check on price fixing by the major players.

senkasaw

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
I hate this stuff. Isn't just at&t, or mobile service providers, that do it either. Cable companies, dish, internet providers...
Ticks me off. Of course it's not like I am going to do anything about it. Just going to complain a bit. Someone will read and agree...nothing will change.
Maybe I am being too cynical.
At least it is Friday! :)

gekko668

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
This is a few reasons beside expensive plans that I went prepaid and never look back. I bought my phone used and unlocked them. These guy are getting greedier and greedier every year.

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
"It will cover expenses that AT&T incurs, including charges associated with cell rent sites and maintenance, as well as charges the carrier pays to interconnect with other carriers when delivering calls."
Because they were doing this for free, out of the goodness of their hearts before now. I mean, because my already $70 bucks a month bill is more like giving to charity for them, huh?
Now I'll just look forward to seeing the next bit of related news telling me that AT&T gets their asses handed to them in class action fees and everyone who's stuck with them gets to drop them and move to a fair carrier due to the Breach of Contract. (because calling it by another name doesn't make it any less a price hike)

slomo4sho

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
You can contact ATT before paying your bill to end your contract without an ETF since this is a rate increase while in contract.

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
The heck is wrong with your wireless carriers USA? We have $20 unlimited talk/text/~200kB/s data and call features for $20 a month here in Canada.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
AT&T is slow. Government has been using the term "fee" to get around the legal hurdle of a "tax" for decades, at least in California. It takes 2/3 majority to pass a tax in CA, but a fee can be decreed by administrative fiat.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Getting kinda tired of the "other carriers do it" excuse. I went to Verizon the other day and found out that all future phone upgrades are going to include an upgrade fee, even if I had my phone for more than the 2 year contract. When I said that sounded a bit greedy the guy working there said exactly what AT&T is saying, its what other carriers are doing.
So here's the question, if all the carriers line up and decide to charge all the same fees, costs, etc then they are no longer competing with one another. At that point it just sounds like price fixing. Maybe someone at the FCC should start taking a look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.