AT&T: U.S. iPhone Exclusivity Will End in 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
At&t will live just fine without the iphone, iphone users are the worst users economically for At&t they put like 6 times more strain on the infrastructure then a normal user.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Yeah i well know that, At&t looses money for every new user but gains back that money a little extra over time as they keep the user i'm sure by now they have a good number of users who they charge a ton every month and they don't need too many more.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
As far as losing money... only on paper. Sure they subsidize the cost of the iPhone (so technically they start out in the hole on every new subscription), but the contract you sign is worth many times AT&T's cost up front. It's not like you can get a subsidized iPhone then walk away.

G

"At&t will live just fine without the iphone, iphone users are the worst users economically for At&t they put like 6 times more strain on the infrastructure then a normal user."

This is exactly what they are doing! Rather than upgrade their infrastructure, they would rather dump the customer. ATT in a nutshell, someday it will catch up with them. Way to be like GM....

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]smlong[/nom]I would think the iPhone would only work on another GSM network. I think these only include T-Mobile and Alltel.[/citation]
I'm sure also depends on how long your contract is if you're in one they might screw you out of paying the rest off the rest of the contract before you can switch.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Why create a CDMA version when Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile are all going to LTE (next gen GSM 4G technology)? Apple would also have to bend considerable to be on Verizon before they would be accepted by them. Two major things are having a removable battey, and allowing Verizon Techs to troubleshoot their phones instead of relying on Applestores, pretty much what kept them from getting on Verizon the last time.

I am not sure I'de even get one now even if they were to switch. One they can't be customized like my Windows Mobile phone (Not without warranty issues), I don't want to be forced into buying apps only at their store or stuff that is approved by them. I just like the iPhone because I wouldn't have to have an mp3 player as well.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
[citation][nom]darkknight22[/nom]@IzzyThey were also the only reason ATT had been rolling in profit lately.[/citation]

AT&T did not make $12.9 billion USD(2008 numbers) off of iPhone users alone(I am talking net income, not revenue). You do understand how simple math works, right? Even though I hate AT&T(and still under a contract with them, sadly), I cannot stand asinine comments that are not based in reality.

Has AT&T seen growth through the iPhone? Yes. Was it their only avenue of growth? Not likely.

mharris80

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Wondered how long it would take. I personally won't be buying one, but that's just me. I'm one of those people who only has a cell phone because it's almost a necessity nowadays.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]smlong[/nom]I would think the iPhone would only work on another GSM network. I think these only include T-Mobile and Alltel.[/citation]

Alltel has never used a GSM network. They've been CDMA since their inception. T-Mobile and AT&T are the only "nationwide" GSM carriers aside from the "pay as you go" carriers like Virgin Mobile, Boostmobile, Amp'd Mobile, etc. Sprint was a GSM carrier, but not sure as to their network since buying Nextel.

Status
Not open for further replies.