AT&T, Yellow Pages Spyware in ICS 4.0

Omi3D

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Recently after upgrading my AT&T Samsung GII Skyrocket firmware from Gingerbread 3.0.2 to Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 -

The ICS firmware installed Yellow Pages into my contact list. The EULA wants me to agree to have all my contacts geo-tagged and sent back to Yellow Pages. This application was not asking my permission to install, asking only my consent to agree to have them do so AFTER THE INSTALL. I did not want this installed but was installed as part of the ICS 4.0.4 Firmware. After numerous discussions with both Samsung & AT&T. It is discovered that you cannot rollback to Gingerbread, nor can you uninstall the Yellow Book spyware. I see this massive forced intrusion into my private contact book as dispecable. It is data-mining my contacts without any prior warning to its installation with the firmware.

If you have upgraded to ICS from Gingerbread and this has happened to you, I would like to hear from you.
I have also filed a complaint with the FCC in the US. # 12-C00413771 so you can comment there as well if you so choose.

Data mining on this massive scale without any "advisement of such activity" must be tatamount to stealing your private information.

Hugo_58

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
OK, I spent 1 hour with Samsung and another with At&T, I been told I need to call Google at 866-246-6453. Please call there and let's push to have this advertisement removed as quick as possible

Omi3D

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
I doubt that will change a thing. AT&T owns Yellow Book and is in fact, in control of this so-called feature.

My complaint to the FCC has received the attention of the Office of the President at AT&T. I have been speaking with an Office representitive there to try to get the matter resolved. I also conveyed that I remain steadfast to a lawsuit should the removal of this not prevail. I am still awaiting a fix.

Please contact the FCC at FCC.gov and add your voice to the complaint number above or begin another complaint (its Free). I understand many people are quite disturbed by AT&T's actions. The more the FCC hears from others, the more pressure they can apply to AT&T to remove it.

I plan to add some contact info here for this AT&T contact at the Presidents Office, after I clear such through my advising attorney.
If more comes to light, I will post such here. Perhaps as early as this afternoon.

Omi3D

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

I examined the nature of how that should happen and apparently you must start a new complaint. The site says others can comment as well but it requires a login to do so on the same complaint. I was never aware of any login other than my own when issued and that doesn't edit the original complaint, just adds to it separately anyway. You can however make a new complaint and referance to mine with the case number # 12-C00413771.

Goto: http://www.fcc.gov/complaints, check the Wireless topic bullet. It will take you to a form to fill out. Begin by referancing the case above.

Be sure to add your own observations in regard to data-mining. Just express the manner it came into your phone and your own feelings about it.

I basically said what was posted in the original 1st post here. And... thank you. We shouldn't have to put up with this type of hijacking of personal data.

edwardetr

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
I filed a complaint and referenced # 12-C00413771.
FCC Submission Confirmation: 2000A
Acknowledgement of Submission on 11/15/2012, reference number 12-C00440855.
AT&T claimed Samsung was responsible.

kn4s

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
I also filed one and referenced #12-C00413771
FCC Submission Confirmation: 2000A
Acknowledgement of Submission on 12/21/2012, reference number 12-C00451875