At2020 Mic Accesories

Crystal Clear

Estimable
Jul 26, 2015
Looking for helpful accesories with the at2020 microphone.
Wanted to start streaming and need to know
1) How needed is a pop filter, and do I need a good one?
2) will the at2020 need a shock mount? I assume it will so any suggestion will help.
3) I want the mic to be close enough to my face to sound good,but not close enough to obscure vision. Any suggestions on where the mic should be according to my face?

Solution
1) depends on usage. pop filter is to get rid of breathing noise, popping from certain sounds (plosives) and similar. there is no need to spend big money on one though some like the popgard 2000 are low profile so do not get in the way as much as traditional pop filters. some people even prefer to just use a foam windscreen instead. different people have different preferences.

2) given that you're gaming it would be suggested. to keep vibrations from being picked up. this is most important when it is desk mounted on a boom where things like fan vibrations, your movements and other noises can be transferred. if you use a floor mount instead you might be able to get by without one. its not needed in all cases but could help in some.

3)...
1) depends on usage. pop filter is to get rid of breathing noise, popping from certain sounds (plosives) and similar. there is no need to spend big money on one though some like the popgard 2000 are low profile so do not get in the way as much as traditional pop filters. some people even prefer to just use a foam windscreen instead. different people have different preferences.

2) given that you're gaming it would be suggested. to keep vibrations from being picked up. this is most important when it is desk mounted on a boom where things like fan vibrations, your movements and other noises can be transferred. if you use a floor mount instead you might be able to get by without one. its not needed in all cases but could help in some.

3) http://i.imgur.com/3P9WGVK.jpg having the boom off to your one side with the arm coming forward and the mic just off center from your mouth 3-5 inches away is generally ideal. remember the 2020 is side address so it picks up from the side on its upper area. this faces you. having the mic close will reduce the chance of it picking up other sounds in the room. some people of course make do with the boom behind the monitors http://zgp.tv/images/setup/zerogameplan-studio-1.jpg however given that its not close you might sound distant, less detail may be picked up and you might pick up more ambient noise. of course actual distances and placement do vary and it depends on how loud you talk, room acoustics, ambient noise and other factors.

look at what good youtubers use such as pewdiepie http://img07.deviantart.net/b990/i/2014/280/0/2/pewds_facking_kawaii_3_by_ponyhallo1-d81xdo8.png this is a good position as you can tell by his good recording content. why is he using both filter and foam? maybe because he yells into the mic at times so wants to cut down on plosives and wind noise more heavily.

as always, there are things which can work to improve your area..

-if you get lots of audible echo/reflection of your voice you may want to put up soft dividers or foam.
-if you have ambient noise in the house from other rooms, dividers can help reduce it
-your pc should be as far from the mic as possible and as silent as possible
-having silent keyboards and mic helps
-the noise you want to record should be the closest object to the mic
-cardioid mics do tend to ignore sounds from behind them but will still pick up noises that are ambient and reflected around a room

Solution