Atari 7800 Source Code Rescued

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Grims[/nom]Who's Atari?[/citation]

"original programming was still around twenty-six years later" That's why you haven't heard of them XD

dtemple

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
My 7800 is still hooked up. I play Dig Dug, Donkey Kong Junior, and yes... Robotron 2084. I'm not very good at Robotron though...

sylvez

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
now if only we could get source codes for all other machines... *evil laughter + lightning sounds in background + church organ*

seriuosly thou imma take a look at the code now

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Considering Atari got delisted from the stock exchange last year, their last big game, Alone in the Dark, was an over-complicated hard-to-control piece of garbage and that they lose almost as much money every year as they are even worth, it amazes me that their 66 employees are sticking around.

I really don't have any idea why they're still in business.

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Now only if they open up the PS3.....[/citation]

Why would you want that code? clearly you haven't heard many game developers dropping support for the PS3 because its not worth the time and effort to code for. Also to emulate games for it off the computer will take one hell of a computer as well. Just for my own curiosity what would you want to do with it? Play the 5 good games they have for it?

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
This is great, and would be an awesome example in a game programming class.

I thought it was funny because you mentioned the PS3, because the 7800 was basically Atari's PS3. I'm sure the die-hard atari fans defended the 7800 just as thoroughly. It had five games worth buying the system for but everyone else wanted an NES.

esquire468

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]Considering Atari got delisted from the stock exchange last year, their last big game, Alone in the Dark, was an over-complicated hard-to-control piece of garbage and that they lose almost as much money every year as they are even worth, it amazes me that their 66 employees are sticking around. I really don't have any idea why they're still in business.[/citation]

Umm, that is not the same Atari. The original Atari closed up shop in 1996. The Atari name and assets were sold to Hasbro Interactive in 1998, which in turn was bought by Infogrames in late 2000/ early 2001. That is the current Atari that you are referring to.

esquire468

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]vabeachboy0[/nom]didnt know it was in danger[/citation]

The article is not clear or complete on this issue, but the disks in question were found back in 1996, not recently. Not sure why they (Atari Museum) have been sitting on them for 13 years. Perhaps there was some legal issue involved.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I used to dump 2600 cartridge assembly code using the Apple II+ Monitor by hot-plugging a home-made cartridge adapter. The ROMs used an inverted CS, so I had to wire in a 7404 inverter. I'd love to see the source to compare against my old printouts, if I can find them. I don't think I dumped Joust, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.