ATH M50 or AD700x for gaming?

Solution
If you like audiotechnica, get the AD900x instead of the AD700x, it has much more even mid and sub bass and more even treble.

graphCompare.php

There's also another popular headphone, the Sennheiser HD558. I have tested these headphones before and I will briefly explain my findings.

Clarity: AD900x wins for clarity, Sennheiser HD558 is a bit less clear and M50x is the least clear, not that it's not clear sounding, it just can't compete with open headphones in clarity.

Bass: Amount of bass is generally a preference with M50x having the most, HD558 being the middle ground and AD900x having the least. M50x has better sub bass though...

theLeggo

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014
ad700x will have a bigger sound stage due to being an open headphone. It also is bass light, which means footsteps are easily pinpointed. So if competitive gaming, like CS or any FPS, go with the ad700x. otherwise, the m50x have a more fun/bassy sound signature.

StevenDB99

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014

So as an all-around headphone (music, movies, games) you would recommend the M50s?

BlueFireZ

Estimable
The ATH-M50 is more of an "all around" headphone, portable sounds good great for gaming. The AD700x, not so much. The AD700x is directed more towards the gaming market, its also not very portable and pretty bulky, but it has good sound.

If your looking for a all around headphone, the ATH-M50s are the best choice, and if your looking for a more gaming directed headphone AD700x is best choice.

Hope this helps!

theLeggo

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014

Yeah they M50s are good for an all-arounder. Only thing you might not like is the long term comfort since they are closed back.

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
If you like audiotechnica, get the AD900x instead of the AD700x, it has much more even mid and sub bass and more even treble.

graphCompare.php

There's also another popular headphone, the Sennheiser HD558. I have tested these headphones before and I will briefly explain my findings.

Clarity: AD900x wins for clarity, Sennheiser HD558 is a bit less clear and M50x is the least clear, not that it's not clear sounding, it just can't compete with open headphones in clarity.

Bass: Amount of bass is generally a preference with M50x having the most, HD558 being the middle ground and AD900x having the least. M50x has better sub bass though.

graphCompare.php

Soundstage width (how far sounds sound like to your left and right): Same as above, AD900x wins, HD558's is a bit smaller and M50x is the smallest.

Soundstage depth (how well a headphone can put sounds infront and behind you)
HD558 wins here with the AD900x and M50x being roughly the same.

Comfort: HD558 has deeper, oval shaped earpads that fit tall ears better and has the most padding, letting it win in comfort.
M50x and AD900x both touched my ears but that can be solved by stuffing cotton under the earpads to a degree.

Summary: AD900x is clearest, least bass, largest left/right soundstage
HD558 most comfortable with middle ground in clarity and bass, has deepest sound stage
M50x has more bass, best sub bass, is portable and blocks out some ambient sounds around you

Solution

Marundanation

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

I know this is an old topic but that answer is incorrect. The graph you are showing is for ATH-AD700 not ATH-700X (note the 'X'). The non-X is quite ancient now and the sound difference between the modern ATH-AD700X and 900X is minimal unlike the older non-X ATH-AD700 and 900 which does have a large sound difference between the two. So the modern 700X is superior to the older 700 and 900.

This YouTube channel got reviews for both ATH-AD500X and ATH-AD900X and the sound difference was very minimal, the big change is the comfort between the 500X and 1000X and beyond is the cup design, but not so much the drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ZeosReviews

Gone__Dark

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016

You are wrong. Both the 700 and 700X provide the same sound/specs regardless. The difference between the 700 and the 700X is build quality. 700X are plastic built and have a less quality ear padding. That's why the price is lower than the 700 which has a much better build quality. Same can be said about the M50 and M50X. Same thing, just different build quality

Gone__Dark

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016

Yes they are very good. If you'll be using surround sound however, pair the 598 with turtle beach DSS mixamp (DSS not DSS2. DSS is 7.1 channel and DSS 2 is 5.1).

please do no necro post to old threads
closing this.

to provide a short answer however, the hd598 is a good general use can. if you are on a pc, use a soundcard if you want virtual - the dss is junk only worth using if you have a console and no other choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.