ATH M50 with ModMic vs. BPHS1 headset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew_R

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
I currently already have the Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones, and I absolutely love them for home use (music, watching videos, etc.). I will be going off to college soon, so instead of having a separate desktop mic, I want to get a headset. I will be playing games both on PC and on the Xbox One. I may want to do a bit of recording on the side as well.

My question is this: Should I get a ModMic to use along with my ATH-M50 headphones, or should I get the Audio Technica BPHS1 headset? The BPHS1 is essentially the ATH-M30 headphones with a mic attached.

The M50s sound great to me, and I don't want my audio to be downgraded (M30s) if I get a new headset. Do the M30s sound good? Is the BPHS1 good quality, both the headphones and the microphone?

Try not to look at the price difference between these two options. If the BPHS1 (M30s) headset will be better, then that's what I will get. If the ModMic (with M50s) will be better, then I will do that.

Thanks

Solution
The ModMic is probably similar quality, so I would go for that. You save a lot of money and keep using the headphones you like. You should be able to use it with your Xbox One with an adapter.
G

i can tell you first hand that i have a zalman zm-mic1 that i use with some ath-m50s and the sound quality is definitely pretty good from the mic...especially for $10...its just as good if not better than mics in $50-$150 headsets. the only problem is that i had to try to find a way to attach it to my headset...but if you're crafty it shouldnt be a problem. then you just saved yourself from buying a whole new headset.

Andrew_R

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

Thanks for your response. I am not so much worried about the price, just the quality. If the BPHS1 is as good of a pair of headphones as the ATH-M50s, then I will get them. If getting the BPHS1 would mean that I am sacrificing headphone sound quality, then I will get the ModMic. I will be playing games while talking to others, as well as recording/livestreaming with this headset. I want a good combination of headphone quality and microphone quality. I like the M50s, but I want to know how the BPHS1s are because I wouldn't want to get crappy headphones with a good mic. Instead, I could get the ModMic, which sounds pretty damn good from demos considering the price, and attach that to my M50s, which I know sound good. It just sucks that the BPHS1 isn't very widely used, so not many people can give advice on it.

Any ATH-M30 users out there? Can you give a comparison between them and the M50s, and if the BPHS1 will work for me?

G

i honestly would just get the modmic. i hear they have very nice sound quality to them. that way you are using your ath-m50s (which you obviously like) and have a wayyyy better mic than what would come on the bphs1

Andrew_R

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

Would the ModMic really be a better mic than on the BPHS1? The reason I was considering the BPHS1 was from someone who uses one on YouTube. He makes videos for a living and the sound quality seems excellent.

If I were to go with the ModMic, could I plug the 3.5mm mic cable, as well as the 3.5mm cable from my headphones, into a combo jack splitter, then plug that into the Xbox One chat adapter? so I would be able to use it on my Xbox One?

ewok93

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
The ModMic is probably similar quality, so I would go for that. You save a lot of money and keep using the headphones you like. You should be able to use it with your Xbox One with an adapter.

Solution

Andrew_R

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

Thank you. After thinking about it more, I will probably go with the ModMic. It will give me better quality headphones as well as good voice quality. Even if the ModMic quality isn't the absolute greatest that I could get, it doesn't really have to be. It's not like I'm some professional gamer who gets paid thousands to play games. It would be mostly for fun. Despite that, I think the ModMic will be a relatively hassle-free way to solve my problem.

Thanks

amm753

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
Hey man! I know this is old but I've got the ATH-M50's and ive listened to M30's. Gotta say the sound quality is significantly better and the M50's are also a lot more comfortable. Can't speak for the BPHS1. I also have a Zalman zm-1 mic, and it works extremely well. Just ordered a modmic from madorc.com and can't wait to use it when it comes in! I also am trying to use it with my xbox one,
and it is possible with this splitter:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-headsets-separate-headphone-microphone/dp/B004SP0WAQ
and this adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IAVDOS6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=OU5YSPWUBBFO&coliid=I3P7MB1W1K0MRT&psc=1

Status
Not open for further replies.