ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4850

tomvertommen

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Ok, ty,

I follow the gaming gpu's a bit, so I know what I want when buying one. This is only true for desktop gpu's though, so I have antoher question...

How do Nvidia and Ati compare to eachother when it comes to notebook gpu's ? For example, will an Ati Mobility 4850 and a normal desktop Ati 4850 offer comparable performance or are there big differences ?

P.S.: Maybe it would be a good idea for Tom's to compare some mobile gpu's like they do with desktop gpu's in the charts (I don't think they do...sorry if I am wrong)

Generally there is a difference between laptop and desktop platforms with graphics cards. The mobility 4870 probably performed closer to the desktop 4850. They used the same graphics core, but the core and memory clocks needed to be lowered to fit within the power envelope.

With NVidia, the GTX 280M is actually still based on the G92b core which was used with the 9800 series. So the 280M is more like a desktop 9800 GTX than an actual G200 card.

Hope that helps and isn't too confusing. If you want some benchmarks to compare mobile cards to other mobile cards, check these guys out: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

G

Just to share my experience - since I got it (on my MSI725), I was constantly confronted with performance glitches and slow downs during gaming (hugely disappointing). I had try all - Vista 32/64bit, XP 32/64bit, win 7 32bit (64bit is not supported, at least I couldn't find all the drivers for my machine). Presently running win 7 32bit.... all with same problem - slowing down during gaming that was looking like Overheating...

How to Fix ATI HD 4850 Mobile Performance issues or slow down problems while playing

Resolution: I found modded drivers 10.5 of catalyst from tweakforce.com (XG Mobile Cats 10.5 Win7/Vista). Go to Catalyst Control Center and go to ATI Overdrive section - I had to reduce the memory clock to 450 Mhz from the default 850 in order to get this baby stable. That downclock fix the problem, at the same time I was able to clock UP the GPU to 530 from the original 500 Mhz. Now I can enjoy my games at full HD with High details and even some multi sampling. (Dirt2 is running at 1920x1080 on Ultra-High profile with 2 x Multi Sampling average FPS is 30, good for playing and really beautiful, also COD MW2 is smooth and pretty)

McFire

MSI GT725-024US (P8600 with 4GB PC6400, 320GB/7200 RPM drive with ATI HD 4850 on ACER 24" FullHD)

TRENDING THREADS