Attention All Alienware M15x users

Read this engadget report and be cautious when updating your BIOS:

We've received a slew of tips this morning that Dell's latest BIOS update for the Alienware M15x laptop is causing some pretty ugly issues. According to reports this is a different sort of update, run from an application rather than installed separately, and after the first reboot the machine gets to the POST screen then... nothing.

link: http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/09/bios-update-for-alienware-m15x-laptops-turning-them-into-bug-eye/

This is coming after Dell released an update for some of it's other laptops which were having thermal throttling issues. That BIOS update also failed to work. Not a very good PR image for Dell.

fgocards

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

Kinda sounds backwards from the G51j. Their BIOS was messed up when they shipped them out (Causing all those BSODs). Dell had something working and then ruined it... Didn't they test it before they made it available for the users? Who knows, it's Dell...

max787

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009

LOVE the sig! lol

It's only affecting some laptops, so more than likely they did test it, but didn't run into the issue.

And I've been using Dell for a while; both my brother and my dad have Dell laptops, the family PC is a Dell Dimension, I have 2 Dell LCD monitors and we have a Dell LCD TV. Only the TV has had an issue and they replaced and upgraded it for free even though it was out of warranty. So all in all, I have no complaint against Dell.