Attention Canadians: You Can Now Stream Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Do you what is wrong with Canada. We have a population of 30 million people living in a country larger than Russia. Think about that from a business/ retail view.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Eh!? Still no Netflix for Puerto Rico? That sucks, that's why I canceled my subscription and saved a buck each month with Blockbuster.

But the service wasn't as good so I'm using Redbox now lol.

wolfram23

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Hmm well could be interesting. I'll have to look into it. Cable TV alone is about 5 times that price so it seems worthwhile if the video quality is high (1080p?)

kezix_69

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]kezix_69[/nom]Netflix streams in 1080p if your connection is fast enough.[/citation]
...and if the video is offered in HD. Sorry for the double post.

Traciatim

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Now I wonder how they are going to get around bandwidth caps that Canadian ISPs love to cling to.

Rogers offers 10 by 1Mbps cable for $60 a month with a 95GB (I assume 95,000,000,000 bytes, not 102,005,473,280 bytes). Bell has it's Fibe 25 which is 25 by 7Mbps but with a bandwidth cap of 75GB only for $53.

I assume netflix streams HD in 720P or 1080i video to save bandwidth, so if you want decent HD at 4GB per movie you end up at 23 movies or 18 movies a month depending on who you choose. That assuming you do nothing else with your connection.

I wish the CRTC would step up and do something.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I have been saying that I'd stop downloading movies/TV shows if a good, reasonably cheap service was available in Canada. I'm going to have to try this out. To be as good as torrenting it has to offer movies the day they are released in stores (ok torrents are usually out at least a few weeks before that) and TV shows need to be available as soon as they air. Hopefully they have a full library of TV shows too, including many older off air shows and earlier seasons of currently running shows.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Traciatim[/nom]Now I wonder how they are going to get around bandwidth caps that Canadian ISPs love to cling to.Rogers offers 10 by 1Mbps cable for $60 a month with a 95GB (I assume 95,000,000,000 bytes, not 102,005,473,280 bytes). Bell has it's Fibe 25 which is 25 by 7Mbps but with a bandwidth cap of 75GB only for $53.I assume netflix streams HD in 720P or 1080i video to save bandwidth, so if you want decent HD at 4GB per movie you end up at 23 movies or 18 movies a month depending on who you choose. That assuming you do nothing else with your connection.I wish the CRTC would step up and do something.[/citation]
Shaw offers a 15/1 service with a 125GB cap here on the west coast. I've used 200GB+ many times and I'd say that I go over the cap most months. They've never contacted me or added extra charges though.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I just checked out some of their selection. They don't have many older movies and they don't have any of the latest releases. For TV shows they don't seem to allow you to watch individual episodes as they come out (from what I can tell). You have to wait until the season is released on DVD and they wait a while for it to show up on netflix.

So basically Netflix is useless to me. I can't get new stuff (for a while) and I can't view a lot of old stuff. I'm left with being able to watch movies and TV shows that a 6 months to a few years old. Wow, underwhelmed to say the least. Usually I want to watch the latest shows/movies or just watch some classics.

I recently watched most of the early Star Trek movies again, none of which are available. I also watched all of the Buffy / Angel series and none of those are available either. These are very easy to torrent. Netflix FTL. At least its cheap, I guess.

smashley

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I'm in NB and we don't have bandwidth caps here on Aliant/Bell (Rogers does from what my friends say) Fibre connection is about 21/5 for the bottom tier. Not entirely sure what the price is as all services are bundled TV/phone/internet. May give Netflix a try if the quality and selection is good, and at least as convenient as torrents.

pswenne

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
You have to remember it just came out in Canada and they probably don't have redistribution rights for ALL the newest tv shows and movies. It will take some times to catch up to the US version but i'm sure it will.

There is still a decent selection (don't just look at what they offer on the home page, the member section is still pretty full.) there is about 50 pages of movies at 20ish movies per page. For a starting day it's pretty decent.

I didn't look at the TV section since I never watch TV.

cloakster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
Netflix is an amazing service for legitimately watching Movies and TV Shows at a good price, but since i know how to download everything, it is not that appealing to me.

A Hotfile account costs less and i would be able to keep the movie after downloading it. The quality is better over netflix, but it's not good enough imo to make me wanna use it.

I can see the appeal to people who do not know how to download stuff, but since i do, it is not for me.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Its true that the service has just come out here. I'll have to wait and see how much better things get before I jump on the bandwagon. I'd like to legally watch all of my media, but it just isn't an good option the way things are now.

Lets hope that the distribution is better than with books. There are just so many books (especially e-books) that you can buy in the US that you can't get in Canada. Its pretty ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.