Attic fan control via WIFI and Alexa

Mar 19, 2018
I have a Attic Fan circa 1970s' It came with a Double Switch (one High speed, one Low speed) and a 60 min Timer. Its uses a 110 volt line.

If anyone is really interested its "Sears Home ventilator model no.785.63931"

I couldn't find any info online due to its age, but I do have the Manual. I purchased 15+ years ago 2nd hand and I've been using it since. I did replace the original switch & timer years ago (kept the originals they still work) just wanted something on the wall more modern.

Does anyone have any experience with adapting an Attic fan control via WIFI and Alexa. I've been doing research and as far as I can tell the technology behind Attic fan's hasn't seemed to have changed as a majority of the more modern units still use the Double Switch & timer setup.

I would really like to be able to control it via an Amazon Alexa or a similar set up. I envision something like "Alexa turn on Attic Fan for 45 mins" or at the very least I like to be able to turn it on and off. Maybe I'm old fashion I also wanted to retain the use of a Double or Single switch to override smart switch and turn it on in case something goes funky with the smart switch I can still use the fan. Thanks in advance.

mprospero

Senior Editor
Oct 4, 2013
Hi pochrist - I'm trying to do the same thing myself. I'll let you know if I come up with anything. I think one of the issues is that you'll need a smart switch that supports a high load. Keeping the dual-speed aspect might be tough - you may have to choose one speed if you want to replace the switch.