Audio and mic problem.

sammk42

Estimable
Mar 14, 2015
I have a headset with one Audio jack that I plug into a splitter, that I then plug a mic and headphone jack into my computer. When only the headphone jack is in, I have to position it just right to get sound on both ears, but when I plug the microphone end in at the same time I only hear sound in the right headphone. I have another headset and when I plug it in the same thing happens, so I think it's a problem with my computer.

Any help/tips are appreciated.

Edt: I acidenlty made two of the same thread, sry for the spam

You have the wrong type of headset for the jack on your computer. See the following image. You'll need a unit that matches the type of jack on your device:

xf9q9t.jpg

sammk42

Estimable
Mar 14, 2015

It worked normaly before, but one day it stopped working in one ear. If it helps, my headset is a razer kraken pro

Ok, it it worked before, but now doesn't, then there's likely an issue with the headset. Try updating any available firmware or drivers, or rolling back the firmware/drivers if you've updated them between when it worked and now. Aside from that, it's possible there is an internal short in the headset and depending on their age, an RMA might be in order. Have you tried them on both the front and rear jacks, or is this a laptop?

sammk42

Estimable
Mar 14, 2015

It's my PC not a laptop.
I plugged my other headset into the same ports, and the same thing happened. I don't think its my headset.

sammk42

Estimable
Mar 14, 2015

on the front of my machine, I have headphone and mic jacks on my chassis, and on the back I have green, red and blue speaker ports on my motherboard.

Thanks for taKing the time to help me btw.

So which did you try? The rear green port should be the correct output to use. I still think, despite you saying it worked previously, that there is an incompatibility. I'd check the specs for your headset against the specs for your case and motherboard or prebuilt unit model. Units with both a mic and a headphone jack are not combo jacks and I'm almost certain that your headset is a combo jack, in fact it has to be, unless it has dual plugs on it. Combo plugs don't generally work well with regular style headphone or mic jacks since the combo plug has both on one plug and the jacks with two separate inputs are different.

sammk42

Estimable
Mar 14, 2015

I checked and it is a combo jack. I will fiddle around with it more. I think I'm good for now, thanks again for your huge help

Ok, well, I'm not sure if I WAS actually any help, but hopefully it at least got you thinking in the right direction. Another possibility is that somehow there was a driver update that your sound hardware didn't like. That's unlikely in THIS case, but is always a possibility. I really think it has to do with the type of jack, OR possibly an issue with a shorted wire/connection in the headset cabling or internals.