Audio feedback between pc and stereo

Froggman

Estimable
Aug 25, 2015
I am plugging an 1/8 cable into the audio aux on the back of the pc, and running this cable to the the stereo a few feet away. There is a rather loud humming from the stereo, like feedback a guitar turned up too high might emit. I tried different adapters and 3 different cables, short, long etc.. same issue. I read its electricity from inside the pc bothering things, and that I needed some sort of external interface between the pc and the stereo to solve the feedback issue. Anyone know anything about this, where to look, what to look for, names of products, alternatives, etc.

I wasnt looking to spend more than $50, or if there is a cheaper rout. Hopefully some of you all are into recording audio etc and know about this. Thanks guys!!!

Solution
Any sort of humming or loud buzzing sound, when you connect via a 2.5mm from the back of the pc I/O is an indication of
A bad earth.

In most cases the case it`s self should be earthed by the Psu in the system through the motherboard where it stands on each standoff of the motherboard mounting plate of the computer case. Often when a system is built people use fiber washers between the screws used to attach the motherboard to the case. That can cause the buzzing due to little or no earth to the computer case.
Simply remove one screw for example take off the fiber washer and replace the screw and sometimes it can resolve the earth problem or feedback hum, or buzzing, by creating a good earthing point.

The audio port its self has to...

Shaun o

Distinguished
Any sort of humming or loud buzzing sound, when you connect via a 2.5mm from the back of the pc I/O is an indication of
A bad earth.

In most cases the case it`s self should be earthed by the Psu in the system through the motherboard where it stands on each standoff of the motherboard mounting plate of the computer case. Often when a system is built people use fiber washers between the screws used to attach the motherboard to the case. That can cause the buzzing due to little or no earth to the computer case.
Simply remove one screw for example take off the fiber washer and replace the screw and sometimes it can resolve the earth problem or feedback hum, or buzzing, by creating a good earthing point.

The audio port its self has to have a good earth also, so if the port is loose it can cause the buzzing you are hearing due to a loose or badly earthed port, 2.5mm jack input.

The other cause can be down to extra expansion cards on if they give out a lot of electrical magnetic interference.
Device susceptible to this, or exhibit signal leakage should be well shielded.

Depending on the the quality of the Aux unit on the external amplifier often the internal power supply unit can be the cause of humming or buzzing due to the fact if it is an all in one compact unit other than just a pure amp setup humming will occur, so it also best to check for an earthing point from the case of the amp is connected correctly. The earth point in an amp is normally internal via a lead off wire from the circuit board to the metal case of the amp.

Solution

Froggman

Estimable
Aug 25, 2015

Turns out it was the video cord between my old ass television I never use anymore and my stereo equalizer. Unplugged and the humming went from like an annoying 20% to 2% almost cant hear at all. Thanks for your input, still picking your solution cause it got my mind jogging.. and you didnt just lazily post a link and say "read.." Thanks!