Audio from PC to soundbar through HDMI?

thirdeye22

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
I have my htpc connected to my TV via HDMI and want to play audio through my tv soundbar via hdmi, is this possible? If I plug directly into the soundbar there's no video signal, and if directly into tv then no audio.

Solution
OK after some searching it seems that the "HDMI 2" is the "ARC" socket on your TV
So connect the HDMI lead from the PC to "HDMI 1" on the TV
Then connect a HDMI 1.4 lead to the "HDMI 2" socket on the TV and then to the HDMI(ARC) socket on the soundar.
Here is a guide to the settings you need to change on the tv
http://www.samsung.com/au/support/skp/faq/1039760
Also if you want to control the soundbar with the TV remote change these settings on the TV
Hit "Tools"
Hit "Anynet+"
Hit "AV Receiver"
Switch it to "On" and the Soundbar will turn on. (Note that when you set up Anynet+ from Menu you need to enable AV Receiver control.)

kango69

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016
There will be an audio out somewhere from your tv.
Its usually a pair of red and white phono sockets and will say Audio out, use this to connect to soundbar.
Also check If your tv has a hdmi (arc) socket, it will say "ARC" beside it.
This will let you plug your HTPC to the TV and then use the hdmi(arc) from the tv to connect to the soundbar.
Tell me the model of your TV and soundbar and I will check for you !

thirdeye22

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013

TV is a Samsung UN46EH5300F, Soundbar is a Philips HTL4115B/F7B.

Right now I have HDMI from HTPC to TV, and Optical from TV to Soundbar but I hear HDMI is better quality

thirdeye22

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013

Got it working, had to plug soundbar into specific hdmi port which wasn't labelled as arc, thanks for your help man!

jwcrellin

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
I just did a bit of a complicated audio setup today between pc and receiver. Coming from the rear line out using a headphone to dual rca adapter, i'd get all kinds of hum and some static through the speakers of my home theater system. So I got a usb DAC and a ground loop isolator and now its crystal clear sound. So nice through the 5.2.

kango69

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016
OK after some searching it seems that the "HDMI 2" is the "ARC" socket on your TV
So connect the HDMI lead from the PC to "HDMI 1" on the TV
Then connect a HDMI 1.4 lead to the "HDMI 2" socket on the TV and then to the HDMI(ARC) socket on the soundar.
Here is a guide to the settings you need to change on the tv
http://www.samsung.com/au/support/skp/faq/1039760
Also if you want to control the soundbar with the TV remote change these settings on the TV
Hit "Tools"
Hit "Anynet+"
Hit "AV Receiver"
Switch it to "On" and the Soundbar will turn on. (Note that when you set up Anynet+ from Menu you need to enable AV Receiver control.)

Solution