Audio from TV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ColColt

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I just bought a new HDTV that has an optical audio out connection. I thought I could go from the TV with that cable to the input on my receiver(non-HDMI) and get at least stereo from my receiver via the TV but get nothing other than the sound from the TV speakers. Is something wrong with the TV or receiver?

Solution
should be able to work.

You should have;

I 7C OPTICAL IN for OPTICAL
INPUT jacks (2) to (4)
Choices:
(2) MD/CD-R, CD, VCR 2/DVR, VCR 1,
D-TV/CBL, DVD
(3) MD/CD-R, CD, VCR 2/DVR, VCR 1,
D-TV/CBL, DVD
(4) MD/CD-R, CD, VCR 2/DVR, VCR 1,
D-TV/CBL, DVD
I 7D COAXIAL IN for COAXIAL
INPUT jack (5)
(5) MD/CD-R, CD, V-AUX, VCR 2/
Choices:
DVR, VCR 1, D-TV/CBL, DVD
Notes
• You cannot select an item more than once for the same type of
jack.
• When you connect a component to both the COAXIAL and
OPTICAL jacks, priority is given to the input signals from the
COAXIAL jack.

Connect the optical in to one of the inputs that is free of any coaxial or rca plugs and chose the input name on the remote.

Also with TVs you can use the rca plugs to...

ColColt

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
It just didn't make sense so I figured I'd best back track to see if "possibly" I made a mistake in the wiring. That's what happens sometimes when you can't see what you're doing well.

Maybe I should start a new thread with this but do you consider the Yamaha RX-V673 for my purposes a decent replacement for my old receiver? That's the one I'm thinking about.

boju

Distinguished
Mainly before purchasing a receiver google reviews and research models that will fit your criteria containing features and connections you want and most importantly the amplifier quality to drive your speakers. Usually the best way to tell of build quality is how heavy the unit is. If its heavy, means its amplifier is decent quality.

Can i suggest going here, you may find people here(at toms) able to help, no harm in asking but generally the expertise is more concentrated on home theater at: http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews

Ask your budget and your current and future plans are, what kind of speakers you have and power output - if any plans of upgrading speakers or adding multiple subs at all.

I'm not sure about the Yamaha RX-V673 as im not in the market for one but it seems to have the features you want but noticed there were negative feedback at CNET.

Marantz and Onkyo both make good receivers also. Checkout that link i gave you.

ColColt

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
The only negative feedback I saw was one reviewer said it didn't have USB or Wifi which is of no consequence to me. Marantz has always made good equipment...especially audio. I have a 2265 receiver and it's to me, second to none and it's far from being new. Few electronics today will last as long(35 years) as this receiver has. I don't know about their AV receivers.

I'll check out audioholics and thanks for that link.

boju

Distinguished
your welcome. Yea i think just read something about usb and wifi problems, didn't go too much into it. I own a Yamaha RX1800 myself and couldn't be more happier with it for the past 5 years ive had it. Lol 35years,well done on that. Would be very surprised if the receiver i have lasts that long.

Hoping the quality is still the same for their later models as was the RX1800 and there abouts.

Good luck with your search.

ColColt

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
There are many good receivers today that will bring years of great service. I have that Yamaha AV receiver that's about 12 years old and it was the first AV receiver I've had and have been most impressed with it. That's why I lean toward another. In all likelihood I'll opt for either the RX-V673 or 675.