Audio interface questions

hawkgoalie

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
Hey guys, I am currently using a focusrite scarlette solo audio interface in order to use an XLR mic with my computer. But I am wondering if there is anyway to also use this setup to deliver the mic to a PS4. I have read that you can do that with a mixer board, but I would like to avoid having to buy one if I dont need to.

So again: Is there anyway to connect an XLR microphone to PS4 via an audio interface and NOT a mixer.

This isn't as easy as you'd think.

XLR is a balanced audio signal. The signal is split into two, and one is inverted. The original signal is sent on one wire, the inverse on another wire. At the other end, the inverted wire is inverted again to regenerate the original signal. But this also inverts any noise that was picked up along the length of the cable. When you add the two signal lines together, you get 2x the original signal, and the noise (because one was inverted) cancels out. This is how you have long lengths of unshielded microphone or speaker cable without picking up noise, static, or hum.

There are straight XLR to 3.5mm adapters which bypass all this and simply hook up the positive terminal on the 3.5mm plug to the positive (uninverted) wire on the XLR side.

https://www.amazon.com/LyxPro-Impedance-Matching-Transformer-Female/dp/B01JZXIIWE

These will work for short lengths where noise isn't a problem. But you may still encounter problems with an impedance mismatch or incorrect signal level. It also won't (or at least shouldn't) work in reverse (3.5mm signal to XLR). In addition, the types of microphones plugged into XLR cables usually need power, and draw it from the XLR cable. So the other end of the cable needs to supply that power, which it won't if you plug it straight into a 3.5mm jack. This is why you're reading that you need some type of mixer.

So if

• ■you're using an XLR mic which doesn't need power or accepts batteries for power
    ■its impedance and line level matches what the 3.5mm port is expecting
    ■and the cable run is relatively short so noise isn't an issue
then you could use a simple adapter like the one above. Otherwise you're going to need a mixer, or if there's some way to get line out from the Scarlett (maybe the headphone direct monitor jack) you could simply plug that into your PS4.

hawkgoalie

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you very much for explaining this to me.

One more question I am currently using the audio interface(Focusrite scarlette solo) to connect my XLR mic to my PC. Now if I go out an buy a mixer, I was looking at the Behringer Xenyx 802 in order to connect the mic to my PS$. Is there a way, or even a point in connecting the two together in order to use the mixer with the PC. I know I can run just the mixer to the PC, but would like to use the interface as I do have it. Is there a viable solution for running the two together? Or would i be better off just sticking with the current PC setup and then using the mixer only to run audio to the PS4?

Sorry if that is confusing, if any explanation is needed just let me know.

Try the Direct Monitor port on your Scarlett first. The one on the very right.

https://media.sweetwater.com/api/i/ha-63cde095adba636f__q-85__hmac-75467363bb4e567cebabd8486dde7d1ec5d93d21/store/enhanced/items/ScarlettSoloG2/a9b1c8-one.jpg

If it doesn't cut out the USB output when you turn Direct Monitor on (i.e. you can monitor on your PC and the headphones at the same time), then you don't need a mixer. Just get a phono to 3.5mm adapter (at least it looks like the headphone port is phono - hard to tell scale from the pic), a 3.5mm cable to go from your Scarlett to the PS4 controller, and a mic/headphone splitter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/KingTop-Adapter-Tablet-Headsets-version/dp/B01I3A47I4

You may have to tweak the monitor gain to prevent clipping, but it should work.

If you want to use your PC software to tweak/filter your microphone audio before it's sent to the PS4, then you should be able to just plug the line-out on your PC into the mic input for the PS4 controller. That'll redirect any sounds the PC is making (presumably your microphone input, although it'll add Windows sounds as well) to the PS4 mic.

hawkgoalie

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
Okay, So I went and picked up a 3.5mm to 1/4 in adapter (the direct monitor port is just a 1/4 jack) and Gave that a shot, it did not work. The PS4 does not pick up the 3.5mm input as being a microphone.

I'm slightly confused still as to why I would not be able to just directly plug the Scarlette via USB into the PS4. The reason I didn't give it a shot to begin with is because at least on my PC I needed to download drivers in order to get the device to work.