Audio not working through all speakers (Setting question)

xunleashed

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I have a Sony STR-DH520 7.1 hooked up and for some reason, I can't seem to figure out the settings.

Here is the exact unit: http://

Red/White audio cables are running from my receiver to my television, and I only have 5 speakers hooked up. Two in the front, center and two in the rear. I don't have wires plugged into the "Surround back and front high" input.

When I have it on "Multi Ch." I hear sound in the front left, center and back right (the setting I am using now). I try and go through the different sound channels, but none of them give me sound in all of the speakers or even a hint of surround sound, some leave massive echos while others have sound playing only through one speaker.

Can someone point out or point me in the right direction as how to set this up so every speaker works and surrond sound runs properly.

Thank you and I apologize if I confused anyone. Let me know if you need any other information.

why are you connected up to your tv via rca cables?

since you have a receiver it would be best to have all of your inputs go to your receiver first (preferably via hdmi) and just one hdmi out to your tv for video feed.

you say you have 5 speakers. you should have them chooked up to front left, center, front right, rear left and rear right. if you dont have them hooked up right this could cause issues.

i typically like my receiver set to auto. it will detect your surround sound mode of the source.

make sure you are using the newest motherboard vga or audio card drivers or if you have seperate cards the gpu drivers and audio card drivers. are you outputing sound out over hdmi from your gpu? most gpus support this (and sound out via dvi with a dvi to hdmi cable) which is a far easier option then having multiple cables come out the back of your pc.

the receiver needs to support the surround sound modes used in the source file but typically this isnt much of an issue for new equipment.

remember, the source also needs to be in surround. for instance a game may be playing in surround but a movie recorded in stereo will not. most internet video, music and all computer sounds are stereo not surround. some things such as netflix or some specially recorded music may be surround.