Audio only coming from right side after putting in the audio adapter

Cornboi

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
Hello, I bought a pair of headphones that are compatible with Xbox one, of and my iPhone. The headset is called turtle beach o four stealth I think and they provide good audio. Now I bought a of brand new and all the audio ports work fine, so I have ruled that out already.

My question is, how can I get my headphones which have a detachable microphone on the headset to work with the audio. It has the three lines on 3.5 mm jack which is for audio and voice chat. So I plug that into the pc and the audio comes out great, but the mic is not being detected. So I just detached the microphone and put it in the microphone jack next to it. It looks ridiculous but hey it works.

So the microphone has background noise coming in from the fans in the pic case which gets irritating for the other side to hear me because I also have microphone boost enabled. So I turned to the solution that most people would've done to solve this problem, and I've done this before as well and solved the problem, so I went ahead and bought a 3.5 mm audio splitter so I can put the mic back in the headset and put the cables in the audio and the microphone input. My headphones are working with audio coming out and the microphone working again.

So by now you're thinking, what is wrong with the headset then.. Well the problem now is that the audio only works in one ear which is the left side one, and the right side has no sound at all.

If anyone is able to help me with a solution, I would appreciate it. I've also tried most of the audio settings, like checking if one side of the headphones is unbalanced and set to 0, and they weren't unbalanced, both set to 100. Thanks.

Solution
Test the audio splitter with another set of TRRS headphones or try another TRRS audio splitter.

Narrow down the problem by elimination.
Could be the pinouts involved.

Google "TR TRS TRRS" (Tip, Ring, Sleeve).

The plugs (male and female) on your headphones, adapters, ports may not be the same.

If I understand correctly your headphone jack is (TRRS) "three lines".

So you have to match up the plugs, adapters, and ports accordingly to maintain stereo sound and mic input.

The important part being the female port on your adapter has to be TRRS. Then splits to a 3.5 mm male microphone plug and a 3.5 mm male audio plug. Both TRS.

Like this:

http://www.showmecables.com/product/iPhone-Head-Set-Breakout-Cable-3-5mm-TRRS-Jack-to-Dual-3-5mm-Stereo-Plug-6-IN.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=23-106-001&gclid=CO6v6erltM4CFQlbhgodMOsOZA

Just verify the pinouts/connectivity.

Cornboi

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
Yes, the headphone's plug is a Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve (TRRS).

Here are a few images of the headset and the wires.

photo hosting

Just to remind you, the headset works fine putting the TRRS into the audio port in the pc directly, but only when using the TRS audio/mic adapter, does the audio only work in the left ear.

Cornboi

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

I've done both of those two solutions, I still cannot seem to find the issue...

You might try playing around with the balances and other audio settings just to see if they really do anything....

Work with both Playback and Recording devices - lots of tabs and properties to configure. Try the "extremes" - could be some issue where the normally expected configuration is not viable.

Change onlyl one thing at a time and keep notes on what you do.

Otherwise I am out of ideas on my end.

Hopefully there is enough information in the preceding posts that someone else may spot something I have missed.

Cornboi

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
UPDATE: My headphones work fine with another audio splitter. I tried two, had an old one then bought a new one, both didnt work well, then i asked for a factory tested one, and they sent me a splitter which was firmer and clicked in better.

If anyone else is reading this forum, and followed the steps that Ralston18 gave me and still have the problem, ask the person who sold the wire to you to get one that has been tested and they'll most likely send you another one as replacement, or swap it over for another one.

HOPE THIS HELPS!