Solved! audio port not working on laptop

Jan 20, 2019
When I plug a working (both sides work) into my laptop, sound only comes out of one ear. I've tested the headphones and they work perfectly on other devices. It's the laptop. Is it possible to purchase some sort of adapter for the 3.5 mm jack to either a HDMI or USB port? I wonder if I would get stereo then? Thank you

Solution
Try plugging them in all the way. Often, there are several "steps" on the jack plug and if not plugged in all the way sometimes only one channel will work. Otherwise, it's possible that you are plugging into a different type of headphone jack or even the wrong jack.

There are several types of jacks, all with the same form factor but not all compatible with each other. Headphones that have a built in microphone for example may not work with some headphone jacks.

xf9q9t.jpg
Try plugging them in all the way. Often, there are several "steps" on the jack plug and if not plugged in all the way sometimes only one channel will work. Otherwise, it's possible that you are plugging into a different type of headphone jack or even the wrong jack.

There are several types of jacks, all with the same form factor but not all compatible with each other. Headphones that have a built in microphone for example may not work with some headphone jacks.

xf9q9t.jpg

Solution
Jan 20, 2019
Wow, I actually never knew all of that. Great info. But I did try that with no luck. This particular headset does have a mic on it, but it works on all the other laptops and phones in the house. Very frustrating. Thank you for your help.

Yeah, that should be a normal headphone jack. Honestly, I can't tell you what's going on with that if you're plugging it in fully. It may be a driver issue. You might want to double check the product page for your laptop and then download and install the latest audio drivers that are listed there.