Audio sync problem based on commercial DVD

G

My audio sync problem is totally dependent on the commercial DVD. Some disks are perfect, others have sync problems throughout, and some have worsening sync problems as the DVD plays. Obviously, this is not a hardware or connection problem. What I want is a hardware device that lies between my DVD player and my monitor and speakers that can fix audio sync problems. Does such a device exist.

Solution
Depending on the player you are using there is often a 'skip frames to maintain audio sync' type setting in the software's options.
Make sure hardware acceleration is enabled also.

Btw I've only ever had this issue with some poorly ripped dvd's when using handbrake (i havent re-tried this in a few yrs). I just re-rip them using better software now and no issues.

popatim

Splendid
Depending on the player you are using there is often a 'skip frames to maintain audio sync' type setting in the software's options.
Make sure hardware acceleration is enabled also.

Btw I've only ever had this issue with some poorly ripped dvd's when using handbrake (i havent re-tried this in a few yrs). I just re-rip them using better software now and no issues.

Solution
G

Thanks for your reply. I don't rip DVDs with Handbrake. Most of my problems are with DVDs purchased in the late 1990s. Back then, the studios sometimes did a poor job of going from film to digital. Some of the DVDs are in letterbox format. Some progressively go out of sync because they didn't correct for the dropped frames. Others are out-of-sync from the start. In those cases, I feel like I'm watching a badly dubbed foreign movie.

My DVD player doesn't have skip frames or hardware acceleration. It's an older JVC that I like because it's multi-region. (I have some British and German DVDs.) If there's a DVD player that isn't too expensive that has adjustable audio sync correction, I'd be interested. I've searched but cannot find one.

I'd hate to do it, but the only solution might be to buy later DVD versions of the out-of-sync movies, although some (like Road Warrior) use the same crappy version in the newer releases.

G

I solved the problem by purchasing a Felston DD740 Digital Audio Delay device. It takes DVD audio, adjusts the sync, and passes the adjusted audio to the receiver. It doesn't automatically correct sync on DVDs with progressive worsening of audio sync, but it has a remote control for quick adjustments.

It's expensive, $250, but I found a used one for $150. For me it's worth the money because it drives me crazy when voices begin before mouths move.

An interesting finding: Disney DVDs have absolutely no sync problems. That's not true for most other studios.