Audio technica ATH-M40X amplifier?

G

Does these headphones benefit from a amp? If so, are there any ~$30 portable amps with a built in equalizer?

Solution
provided your portable devices are driving them just fine as is, no there is not a big difference between using a strong amplifier with them and using the device. the only gains would be equalizer functions or bass boost although on most portable devices like phones, ipod or similar you can do this right on the device which makes it not worthwhile.

the fiio e6 has a 3 setting equalizer built in and is cheap and can certainly power them well enough. is it worthwhile? i would say only if your devices are somehow struggling to power the m40x or if you're finding you wanted an 3 choice eq.

source? i own the m50s (previous version of the now m50x which is the better version of the m40x) and have used it for years both amped and on multiple...
provided your portable devices are driving them just fine as is, no there is not a big difference between using a strong amplifier with them and using the device. the only gains would be equalizer functions or bass boost although on most portable devices like phones, ipod or similar you can do this right on the device which makes it not worthwhile.

the fiio e6 has a 3 setting equalizer built in and is cheap and can certainly power them well enough. is it worthwhile? i would say only if your devices are somehow struggling to power the m40x or if you're finding you wanted an 3 choice eq.

source? i own the m50s (previous version of the now m50x which is the better version of the m40x) and have used it for years both amped and on multiple portable sources. i dont use the e6 myself.

Solution
G

Yeah i kinda desire a little more bass, the m40xs are said to be very balanced. I will see if I can modify the equalizer on my phone. If I can't, I might just get this amp.

you may benefit the most from a "bass boost" function on a portable amp or equalizer setting for sure.

they arent going to completely change the flavor of the headphones but can push them a bit in the direction you want them to go.

if you wanted bass, you likely would have liked the m50s better. much better build quality, a bit more bassy.

G

Is a iPhone 6 enough for a m50x? If it is I'm likely going to get the m50x. Right now it seems that I need a equalizer ($30), or I can get the m50xs and that is it.