Audio Technica ATH-M40X/M30X for gaming?

kevin_canterbury

Estimable
Oct 5, 2014
I'm looking at getting an M40X or M30X for gaming and I was wondering if I'll be able to tell where the sounds, (such as footsteps and gunshots), are coming from in games such as CS:GO. I plan to put a modmic on them when I'm able. And I must ask, please do not tell me to just buy and open back headset unless you can offer a comparable headset within the same price range, (which is max around $80). Pretty much, I need to be able to know where everything is coming from in competitive games and want to know if either of these headsets will do it well enough for me. Thanks to any help.

RCFProd

Honorable
Herald
Dec 8, 2013
Neither, HyperX Cloud is better than both and matches the Audio Technica ATH-M50X in audio quality and beats them in build quality with a solid aluminium finish. The Cloud's are rebranded Takstar Pro80s and are the recommended headphones by audiophiles in a budget below 100 dollars.

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Core Headset ($69.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $69.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-18 03:07 EST-0500

I owned the same one for 2 years now and I don't feel at all like changing it yet, they're great.

kevin_canterbury

Estimable
Oct 5, 2014
The problem I have with that is that I don't really trust the typical gaming headset anymore, as every one I've ever bought, (and this is with careful use, as I'm a very careful person with things like this,) have had problems with the cables. I was looking at the M40X's primarily due to the detachable cable and the ability to simply buy a new one if they were to break in any way. But with the initial question, do you think that I'd be able to hear which direction things are coming from in games with one of these headsets? Oh, and just for clarification, I wasn't really comparing the two, I was just wondering if either would do what I'm wanting them to, not really a "this or that" kind of thing. Your response is much appreciated, though.

kevin_canterbury

Estimable
Oct 5, 2014
I'm also looking at the Audio Technica ATH-AD700X and would be willing to spend a little extra on them if they'd be good for directional audio and are durable, (as in the cable won't short out or anything for no reason). I might also need to add that I do listen to music often, as well, and I've heard that open back headsets aren't great for that, so if you could give me any information on them, that'd be great.

RCFProd

Honorable
Herald
Dec 8, 2013
As long as you know that the HyperX Cloud isn't a joke like other gaming headsets and is actually accepted by everyone in the audio community. You could look at reviews, audiophile forums and such: The HyperX Cloud performs great and doesn't break. Just my two cents.

With most stereo quality headphones you'll hear your surroundings pretty well. You'd be fine with the M40X.