Audio Technica ATH-M50X or Razer Tiamat 7.1?

jingsaw2859

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
So the cable on my ATH-M50's broke and I decided to get new headphones. Should I get the M50X or the Tiamat 7.1? If I get the M50X I will try modding my M50's and then selling them and if I get the Tiamat 7.1 I will also try modding them but I will keep them as my secondary/travel headphones. I'm not sure what to do, I'm thinking of getting the M50X but then again I already have ones that I can try fixing and I have never tried surround sound before so I'm not sure which ones to get for gaming.

Solution
The only way to get true 7.1 surround sound is to have a eight channel speaker setup. Having several tiny drivers inches away from your ears is not going to have the same effect, nor will sound good compared to two large drivers. If you want virtual surround there is free software out there such as Razer surround, or you could buy a sound card and use the virtual surround that comes with it.

I have not tried the Tiamat but from the general consensus the quality seems to align with the rest of their audio products;crap. Good luck having a pair of those as travel headphones, they will break within no time. Headphones from a respectable audio company on the other hand like Audio Technica make their headphones so that they will last...
not sure how you managed to break the cable on the m50 as it is very hefty (i own one myself). i would just fix the cable.. mod in a female socket into the m50 then buy a m50x cable to use with it. cheap and it works.

that said, given the small soundstage the m50 is not ideal for gaming. it works, but if you want greater depth to sound open cans would be ideal (ad500x, hd598, similar). if they need to be closed for isolation, the dt770 and an amp would be better than the m50x.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
What do you mean when you say your cable broke? If it's as simple as a loose connection you could easily resolder and save yourself the cost of new headphones.

The m50 are better than the Kraken in every way, the m50x is nearly the same as the m50 but has a detachable cable.

jingsaw2859

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
I know I'm going to try and mod my m50's anyway. I just need to know if I should get the Tiamat 7.1 for gaming or just continue with the m50's, do you think the surround sound in the tiamat 7.1 will be better than the m50's in games like CS:GO?

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
The only way to get true 7.1 surround sound is to have a eight channel speaker setup. Having several tiny drivers inches away from your ears is not going to have the same effect, nor will sound good compared to two large drivers. If you want virtual surround there is free software out there such as Razer surround, or you could buy a sound card and use the virtual surround that comes with it.

I have not tried the Tiamat but from the general consensus the quality seems to align with the rest of their audio products;crap. Good luck having a pair of those as travel headphones, they will break within no time. Headphones from a respectable audio company on the other hand like Audio Technica make their headphones so that they will last.

CS:GO is known to have a mediocre sound engine and using virtual surround likely won't help the situation. To my ears the default audio is much better compared to using surround sound software like Razer Surround.

[video="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzusBm04RSU&t=4m0s"][/video]

If you had to buy new headphones I would get a pair of open backs like ssddx suggested and use the m50 for travel.

Solution