Augmented Reality Goggles Help Vehicle Repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jochamus

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Please pay attention to those spelling mistakes. 'Image the..' = Imagine the..

But still, this is great. It is true that everyone probably once has had a time in which they thought, "I wish I could have a pair of glasses that showed me how to fix this!" Great progress being made!

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Image that... someday.. we can rent a goggle from HomeDepot, Bestbuy, or something.. and use that to repair our electronics, cars, or home improvments... with VR instructions. No more flipping to page 356 or instructions!

Though it really sounds liek a dream/sci-fi, hopefully these will become reality in a near future!

Good job!

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Image the money? Here, I'll do your simple editing for you... "IMAGINE."

Sorry, I won't bother reading the rest of your article. Next time take the two minutes to edit your own article before you lose all credibility. If it didn't happen so often I would brush it off but it's a constant thing.

Here's a few editing tips since you seem to be having trouble:

1. Read your article out loud to yourself before you submit it.

2. Email it to a single co-worker to read.

matt2k

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
or maybe kevin meant image it, as in get an image (of piles of money presumably, or a swag bag with a big dollar symbol) with a pair of augmented reality glasses. sound plausible?

matt2k

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
oh yeah, and the goggles look pretty neat. just wait till they shrink the size till they look like normal glasses, so many possibilities...

michaelzehr

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Interesting coverage. A similar system was evaluated by the military a number of years ago and tried by some airlines for aircraft repair. It never caught on, but it was an actual product companies could buy as far as I'm aware. (Microvision made it, called the nomad system. They still make heads up displays for the military and are trying to commercialize their technology.)

It's not exactly accurate to say that it is "now" becoming science fact. More accurate to say there is now a competiting tech (the tech Microvision used came from the University of Washington). I had invested in Microvision at one point so I know they have a number of patents -- not sure if the new systems are different enough.

Nonetheless it's nice to see more work in wearable displays.

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Hasn't Honda been using this for a couple of years already? I recall a news article where they were quoting something like a 40% reduction in time spent on repairs due to using this in their workshops in Japan.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Why stop at just cars?

This would be great for couples who always argue. When they start yelling at each other, just put the goggles on and it gives them the "information they need to find and fix problems in a way that is going to be more efficient and accurate".

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
ZOmg WOW!!
what amazes me is how do they line up the 3d with what the viewer sees? are there visual cues or does the computer just know what 3d objects look like?
Well.... at any rate this cuts down on repair overhead and makes mechanics more versatile. course too much reliance on such technology can impair in real combat situations.
Example, How many of us use a spell checker frequently or use a calculator for addition and subtraction?

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]r0x0r[/nom]Why stop at just cars?This would be great for couples who always argue. When they start yelling at each other, just put the goggles on and it gives them the "information they need to find and fix problems in a way that is going to be more efficient and accurate".[/citation]
When it comes to arguing though, women are almost completely illogical. I doubt any computer could ever be programmed to anticipate these kinds of things. For instance, I can see an arguement about you being late for something turning into an arguement about your Aunts cats or something being mauve instead of red, and the goggles flip out because it cant follow the logic in the arguement and begins to breakdown flashing up things like "Does not compute".. Although, I guess if you used it enough and it has tracked enough arguments, it could warn you that what you are now saying is going to cause your woman to bring up a point from an arguement that you lost 5 years ago.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]When it comes to arguing though, women are almost completely illogical. I doubt any computer could ever be programmed to anticipate these kinds of things. For instance, I can see an arguement about you being late for something turning into an arguement about your Aunts cats or something being mauve instead of red, and the goggles flip out because it cant follow the logic in the arguement and begins to breakdown flashing up things like "Does not compute".. Although, I guess if you used it enough and it has tracked enough arguments, it could warn you that what you are now saying is going to cause your woman to bring up a point from an arguement that you lost 5 years ago.[/citation]

You better hope Jane doesn't read that... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS