Auto switching from internal to external microphone

funkydrumma

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
I searched the forum but haven't seen any info on exactly this issue. My laptop no longer automatically switches from the internal mic to the external mic when I plug one into the 3.5mm jack. In order to switch I have to go into my audio options and manually change it. Both mics work fine, one at a time. The other mic shows up as "Currently Unavailable". And plugging in headphones overrides the speakers properly. It's only the microphone switching that is a problem.

I have a Sony VAIO VGN-FW235J running Vista Home Premium SP2. The sound card is a Microsoft High Definition Audio Device. I tried uninstalling it and rebooting. Once reinstalled the problem still persists.

Is there another setting that needs to be changed? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

AntiZig

Distinguished
within your audio config utility for the audio in/out jacks, there should be an option to make the selection for microphone permanent. I've had something similar on my dell, where it used to recognize the headphones automatically, now every time I plug it in it thinks it's a subwoofer or something and I have to manually switch it from that to mic/headphones.