Solved! AutoCAD Laptop

toledo_speedo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I was asked to recommend a laptop to a friend who is running: autoCAD, revit, rhino and adobe software

I suggested the Dell 17R as Follows:

Processor: Intel® CoreTM i5 2410M (2.3GHz/6MB cache)
Operating System: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
Display: 17.3" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Display with TrueLife™
Memory3: 6GB3 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
Hard Drive: 500GB4 SATA hard drive (5400RPM)
Video Card:1024MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT525M

The only thing she mentioned changing is Windows 7 Home to Pro, any other thoughts?

Thank you!

Solution
Pro is pointless unless she is joing a domain... home is fine.

If they are intent on runnign Revit and rendering I don't advise a laptop, that being said... your suggestion does not meet Autodesks recommended specs for Revit (it meets the minumum most likely).

assuming we are talking the current 2012 product generation I would max the RAM out at a minimum (8GB most likely, Autodesk suggest 16 GB of RAM for large models) and crank the CPU up, also you *may* want to look into the graphics card performance under 3D usuage if a large amount of time will be spent doing that (at that point a workstation class card may be better).
Use these as a guidline for most of the hardware...

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Pro is pointless unless she is joing a domain... home is fine.

If they are intent on runnign Revit and rendering I don't advise a laptop, that being said... your suggestion does not meet Autodesks recommended specs for Revit (it meets the minumum most likely).

assuming we are talking the current 2012 product generation I would max the RAM out at a minimum (8GB most likely, Autodesk suggest 16 GB of RAM for large models) and crank the CPU up, also you *may* want to look into the graphics card performance under 3D usuage if a large amount of time will be spent doing that (at that point a workstation class card may be better).
Use these as a guidline for most of the hardware:
http://usa.autodesk.com/revit-architecture/system-requirements/

Solution