Solved! Laptop for Architecture Student

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 20, 2020
Hi everyone.

I'm new here and am looking for a laptop for my undergraduate degree at an architecture school this fall.

These are the minimum recommendations from my college:
  • 2.2 GHz or better (before Turbo Boost)
  • Intel Core i7 processor
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 250 GB hard drive SSD
Some programs I may be using include Rhino, VRay, AutoCad, Revit, and the Adobe Suite (photoshop, illustrator, etc).

I'm drawn between these two laptops. Although the Spectre seems to be the better deal, I'm not sure why there's such a price gap between the two laptops. Also, the HP has the 2-in-1 feature and a pen (I'm not sure if this feature is even that practical but it's a nice upgrade). I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions you may have!

$1599 HP Spectre x360 15" 2-in-1
https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-spectre-laptop-15t-eb000-191b0av-1

• Intel® Core™ i7-10750H + NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 Ti with Max-Q design (4 GB)
  • 16 GB Memory
  • 15.6" diagonal 4K UHD, IPS, micro-edge, WLED-backlit, multitouch-enabled, edge-to-edge, 400 nits (3840 x 2160)
  • 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

$2199 Dell XPS 15"
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/laptops/new-15/spd/xps-15-9500-laptop

• 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-10750H
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 Ti 4GB GDDR6
  • 15.6" UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Anti-Reflective 500-Nit Display
  • 16GB DDR4-2933MHz, 2x8G
  • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive

Solution
I have a 13” HP Spectre and really love it. I think the 2 in 1 will be good for you as a student.. taking notes, reviewing docs and writing on them, etc.

in fact I just gave my daughter my HP laptop for her college career starting in August.

Watch some YouTube video reviews of both.
If the HP is on sale, grab it... they are often on sale.
R

p.s. you should definitely do some shopping and see if you can get some thing with even more ram and a better video card. There are a lot of 2020 laptops that look really good.

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
I have a 13” HP Spectre and really love it. I think the 2 in 1 will be good for you as a student.. taking notes, reviewing docs and writing on them, etc.

in fact I just gave my daughter my HP laptop for her college career starting in August.

Watch some YouTube video reviews of both.
If the HP is on sale, grab it... they are often on sale.
R

p.s. you should definitely do some shopping and see if you can get some thing with even more ram and a better video card. There are a lot of 2020 laptops that look really good.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.