Autodesk: You'll Be Making Movies on iPad Soon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Isn't it quite obvious he means you could manipulate 3d objects on an iPad instead of porting over the entire production line? I'm not sure how it would work or if it'd be useful but I'd like to be able to show clients models and designs without getting the laptop...

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
They do realize that the only way this would work is to have the iFad be no more than a front-end to a REAL rendering/designing application hosted on a machine that's actually more powerful than my phone.... right? Wouldn't it be a whole lot cheaper and easier to take what they render on now, and put a touch-screen on it instead of jump through all these ridiculous hoops just to get an iFad front end?

3dsmaxusr01

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
You'd probably use the iPad or tablet as the modeling interface and send to backburner over local LAN or a rendering cloud. That would be interesting.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Alx0000[/nom]Isn't it quite obvious he means you could manipulate 3d objects on an iPad instead of porting over the entire production line? I'm not sure how it would work or if it'd be useful but I'd like to be able to show clients models and designs without getting the laptop...[/citation]

Exactly my thoughts. Anyone with a brain with even moderate functionality should be able to tell that it's obvious that they don't mean you will be able to make a movie as complex as avatar with the same quality as the same, on a device as limited as an ipad. Hell, to even consider doing the same even on a consumer desktop is asking too much, even for an enthusiast's computer.. They obviously mean to use the iPad as a device to control the production of said content through methods that the iPad would be useful for. So stop the "boo hoo" crap, seriously. It's old. It's dead. You whining crying over zealous PC elitist guys have killed any humor whatsoever in any gripes or complaints you even remotely have, whether justified or not. Your just not satisfied in your smug self-righteousness enough in beating the horse til it expires.. you have to beat the dusty remains of what used to be bones. Get over it and do something productive instead of whining.. Because, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much everyone that has shown hate towards this article, doesn't have, or isn't using their brain.. Whichever is more applicable.

It's quite obviously that using the iPad to make a movie "like" avatar would absolutely require outside assistance, whether in the form of a cloud type service to do all the hard-number crunching required to render all of the scenes, art, and whatever and what-not. The iPad, by itself, is really only useful as a content consumption device, not a creation device. I would have thought we would understood that by now, but I suppose that's asking too much.

For some of ya'll. ;P

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Alx0000[/nom]Isn't it quite obvious he means you could manipulate 3d objects on an iPad instead of porting over the entire production line? I'm not sure how it would work or if it'd be useful but I'd like to be able to show clients models and designs without getting the laptop...[/citation]
Simpler models the iPad will be able to handle it but for example a mesh of a character from Avatar will be too much for it, let alone manipulate it.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]scuba dave[/nom]..Anyone with a brain with even moderate functionality should be able to tell that it's obvious that they don't mean you will be able to make a movie as complex as avatar with the same quality as the same, on a device as limited as an ipad...[/citation]

And yet how often do we here popular media and Tom's echoing overinflated claims. Read the headline for this blog post - if it is remoting into another machine, then it is not news. After all, us stupid PC users and linux users have been doing that for some time. If it is native on the iPad, then you pointed out the problem - it is obviously an overbloated and even outright false claim.

[citation]...So stop the "boo hoo" crap, seriously. It's old. It's dead. You whining crying over zealous PC elitist guys have killed any humor whatsoever in any gripes or complaints you even remotely have, whether justified or not. Your just not satisfied in your smug self-righteousness enough in beating the horse til it expires.. you have to beat the dusty remains of what used to be bones. Get over it and do something productive instead of whining.. Because, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much everyone that has shown hate towards this article, doesn't have, or isn't using their brain...[/citation]

Which brings me back to the above point. No longer daily, and maybe even no longer weekly, but at least monthly we see an article that is "An iPad user does ______" by the media. It doesn't matter if _______ has been done by my convertible tablet PC for the past 5-10 years, it doesn't matter that my convertible tablet PC can do it better. Apple is a beloved brand like Coca-Cola, so the Pepsi paradox applies (thanks Cracked).

What is this mysterious Pepsi paradox? When given a blind taste test, people prefer Pepsi to Coke. When you put the cans out, people prefer Coke to Pepsi. I bet if people were listed the hardware specs and the types of programs a device could run (not specific program names, but things like "full HTML web brower", "spreadsheet program", "database program", "instant messenger", "sound player", "multimedia player", etc - generic and non-identifiable names) then most people would never choose to buy an iPad at its price. Then you take out these devices and place them on a table, I bet you people would choose the iPad despite their knowledge that it is less powerful and more expensive than a netbook.

So, yeah, we are sick of hearing how the iPad is a miracle device because someone did a finger painting with it when our tablet PCs were running ArtRage and Painter for over half a decade and producing far better art. We are tired of the media being slack-jawed and pretending that the iPad is doing something new. These are old tricks, but because the dumb blonde with big tits in the room did them, the media acts like its a novel idea instead of a trivial one.

Thus we rage against those who buy into Apple's propaganda. Heck, I bet if Apple made an on-device WYSIWYG app creator and people started programming it, the media would say "look, with an iPad you can do this new thing called programming a computer!"

G

"This was the cheapest project we ever did, which reached more people than any other project. It surprised me."

Proving once again that Autodesk is run by retards. This guy can't see a correlation between "affordable" and sales numbers? Really?

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
[citation][nom]v8toilet[/nom]"This was the cheapest project we ever did, which reached more people than any other project. It surprised me."Proving once again that Autodesk is run by retards. This guy can't see a correlation between "affordable" and sales numbers? Really?[/citation]
I hate Autodesk, long live Dassault, they just released a FREE 2D CAD program that is exact in functionality to AUTOCAD minus the 3D capabilities (if you can call it that). Solidworks ftw, Draftsight ftw, burn in hell AutoDesk, yearly releases that are NOT backwards compatible? Pathetic.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Considering the fact most people will NOT be making a full length feature movie. My guess they will probably only produce 15-30 minutes worth and let the render farm take over.

The app for the iPad is nothing more than a frontend tool to create the scenes and then send it off to the render farm for production. I bet Autodesk is counting on to charge people to render the movies on their servers.

I just wish we have more devices like the iPad to compete with.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]MDillenbeck[/nom]And yet how often do we here popular media and Tom's echoing overinflated claims. Read the headline for this blog post - if it is remoting into another machine, then it is not news. After all, us stupid PC users and linux users have been doing that for some time. If it is native on the iPad, then you pointed out the problem - it is obviously an overbloated and even outright false claim.[citation]...So stop the "boo hoo" crap, seriously. It's old. It's dead. You whining crying over zealous PC elitist guys have killed any humor whatsoever in any gripes or complaints you even remotely have, whether justified or not. Your just not satisfied in your smug self-righteousness enough in beating the horse til it expires.. you have to beat the dusty remains of what used to be bones. Get over it and do something productive instead of whining.. Because, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much everyone that has shown hate towards this article, doesn't have, or isn't using their brain...[/citation]Which brings me back to the above point. No longer daily, and maybe even no longer weekly, but at least monthly we see an article that is "An iPad user does ______" by the media. It doesn't matter if _______ has been done by my convertible tablet PC for the past 5-10 years, it doesn't matter that my convertible tablet PC can do it better. Apple is a beloved brand like Coca-Cola, so the Pepsi paradox applies (thanks Cracked).What is this mysterious Pepsi paradox? When given a blind taste test, people prefer Pepsi to Coke. When you put the cans out, people prefer Coke to Pepsi. I bet if people were listed the hardware specs and the types of programs a device could run (not specific program names, but things like "full HTML web brower", "spreadsheet program", "database program", "instant messenger", "sound player", "multimedia player", etc - generic and non-identifiable names) then most people would never choose to buy an iPad at its price. Then you take out these devices and place them on a table, I bet you people would choose the iPad despite their knowledge that it is less powerful and more expensive than a netbook.So, yeah, we are sick of hearing how the iPad is a miracle device because someone did a finger painting with it when our tablet PCs were running ArtRage and Painter for over half a decade and producing far better art. We are tired of the media being slack-jawed and pretending that the iPad is doing something new. These are old tricks, but because the dumb blonde with big tits in the room did them, the media acts like its a novel idea instead of a trivial one.Thus we rage against those who buy into Apple's propaganda. Heck, I bet if Apple made an on-device WYSIWYG app creator and people started programming it, the media would say "look, with an iPad you can do this new thing called programming a computer!"[/citation]

No doubt there is tech out there that is readily available to consumers in general that can do the above just as well, and in cases where the hardware is better.. Could do more, and faster, and possibly more efficiently at that. You will get no arguments from me there. However, where I will say hold on a sec, is when the iPad is bashed the way it is. The second the iPad's technical specs were listed.. The bashing began instantly. It didn't matter what it could do.. It only mattered what it couldn't do. It didn't matter what was in it, because it wasn't the fastest hardware known to man. It didn't matter what type of experience that apple designed it for, and the hardware they put in it being more than sufficient for that purpose.. It never mattered at all. All that mattered, is that it was made by Apple, and that Apple sucks, because they are evil, and are slower to use newer tech than PC enthusiasts, and that the iPad is just a "Big iPod Touch".

And that's not the point. That's completely not the point at all. Maybe to you guys (and I'm a PC user myself) but not to the world in general. In the electronics world.. Bigger, for the most part, has always been better, when it comes to viewing platforms. TV's started off small.. Should we call 60 inch plasma's nothing more than "Big 13 inch TVs"? No. That's just rediculous, and frankly, immature. And I would love to be able to think that a crowd of people smart enough to build their own computers, and who are, in general, more savvy at what is going on in the tech community would be less fanatical and mature, and would just accept what is available for it's merits, instead of it's faults. I'm throughly convinced that Apple could come up with something a full 5 years ahead of the competition in all areas, and the general consensus wouldn't change at all. Apple would still only have their small market share, and the PC elitists would still be looking for something else to yell at them about.. Even if the only things they had was the Apple Tax to yell about.

It's just nausiating you know? Sometimes, I really get the urge to just smash my 7n7 rig at home into electronic dust, rather than be associated with this kind of "name calling". It's like, honest to god.. are people honestly this brainwashed into the brand? I mean.. I've sat back and watched the same thing happen with even more than Apple vs Microsoft. I watched it happen twice with ATI vs Nvidia. Back in 06-07 when Nvidia was god, and everyone was laughing at ATI(basically) and then again when Nvidia majorly dropped, and subsequently lost, the ball.

I mean, I get it when you guys say there are cheaper alternatives, but that doesn't require the flood of hate. It's not funny watching this site bash the other side.. when you guys literally, are no better.. and quite possibly, much, much worse. :/

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
@ Scuba Dave:

While people like you (who are Tom's readers) are tech smart enough and see the "obvious", the average consumer hears this and runs out to buy an iPad, anticipating making his home movies Oscar contenders.

It is an idiotic, broad sweeping statement from a CEO who should know better. It isn't blind hate against Apple, it's rage against marketing speak that isn't true. And as v*toilet stated, this CEO doesn't think the price difference between an app and a full blown program didn't influence sales? As you said, use your brain - but direct it at AutoDesk as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS