Avast and Malwarebytes

Jun 8, 2018
sry for the bad english, today i got a adware in my computer, i cant search any keyword like "adw" or "adwcleaner", i use Avast to scan like 4 hours+, 0 threat detect. And i try Malwarebytes scan like 2 minit, 60+threat detect and all the threat have been quarantined. Can anyone explain why Avast cant find a single threat?

Solution
Different programs with different capabilities. I do trust MB more than avast, but it may not have been updated. Also, in another situation, vice versa could happen. In addition, avast is anti-virus software, while Malwarebytes is anti-malware, so you can't exactly compare their results as you may have solely one type of virus.

PuperHacker

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
Different programs with different capabilities. I do trust MB more than avast, but it may not have been updated. Also, in another situation, vice versa could happen. In addition, avast is anti-virus software, while Malwarebytes is anti-malware, so you can't exactly compare their results as you may have solely one type of virus.

Solution

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017

Could you tell us a little more about the "adware?" Are you seeing popups on your desktop? Or in your browser? Do you have a sample that you could send to our Threat Labs?

It's possible that it could be related to a browser extension that is serving ads -- i.e., not necessarily a harmful malware, but certainly annoying :) For this, you can use Avast Browser Cleaner in Firefox or IE to remove any unknown extensions. In Chrome, you can do a browser reset which should clear your extensions. You may also want to look into trying a cleanup program like CCleaner Free) which can help remove tracking cookies/etc.