Solved! Avast free locking files on network shares

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
Is anyone else having issues with the newest version of avast free version 17.2.2288 (build 17.2.34190)? I'm using this on a legacy XP SP3 computer. Anytime I create/copy/move a file onto a network share, it will lock the file and make it inaccessable to programs. I've tried this on network shares on Windows server 2008 R2 and also on other XP SP3 computers. It also seems to lock files on the local machine if the folder the file resides in is marked as being shared.

Disabling file shield before creating/copying/moving files onto a network share works fine and as expected. This just started with the last two updates. Putting the shares in file shields exclusion list doesn't fix the problem either, only disabling file shield works.

Solution

I got it from a link in the post of 'Cluster-Lizard2014' here https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=197027.15 (the oneuploads.com link he indicates into his post).

I hope avast solve this soon so that we can update to the last version...

first thing to do when using AvAst is turning off all the bells and whistles and let it do what it supposed to do files and mail scanning, the rest is junk on that application and will drag your pc down, and as you noted cause issues on the network. I so got annoyed so many times I simply took it off and went back to defender, ever since MacAfee and Norton came out a few years back with "security suites" the whole virus software's are memory hoggers, network usurpers files managing whores. and have not proven to be any better than regular anti virus at catching threats

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017
Hey Hawkeye, got your message on this -- when you get a chance, let me know which version you are on (as of today). I also asked if you were on Free, but you already answered that here :)

Let me know and I'll get this to my development team.

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017

Thanks Hawkeye. I'll get this right to the top. In the meantime, I'd try running an update (or doing an online repair) to ensure you're on the latest build (you are already on the latest released version, though .2289 is in beta right now). Let me know if that helps.

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
I've been running updates daily hoping a fix is released, but each time it says I'm running the newest version. If you look at my first post I do say I uninstalled and reinstalled avast when I first encountered the problem. With other people reporting the same issue, I have to believe it's an issue with the latest version of avast, specifically with versions put out in 2017.

Thanks for all and any assistance.

jolins

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017
I did revert to the version 12.3.2280 in the wait of a solution.

So far, the bug did happen on any computer running windows Xp where i tried to install the new version of avast...

NOT_PROVIDED_801

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017
I too have this issue.. write locks aren't released. win xp sp3 and avast 17.2.2288.
This is a minimalist install - only components active are: file shield and behavior shield. Under file shield, scan when writing, do not scan files on remote shares checkbox doesn't help. I've also tried disabling scan when writing completely - no help. Only thing that works is disabling avast completely.. problem returns when avast becomes active again.

Where did you find an old installation version?
Thnx!

jolins

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

I got it from a link in the post of 'Cluster-Lizard2014' here https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=197027.15 (the oneuploads.com link he indicates into his post).

I hope avast solve this soon so that we can update to the last version...

Solution