Avast interfering with steam. Games taking forever to download.

s3478h99

Estimable
Jun 11, 2014
I had some sort of virus for a while that took over my McAfee program and wouldn't allow me to turn scanning on. Having no antivirus protection I acquired some viruses, I assume and yesterday my computer crashed. I restarted it multiple times and I couldn't open up any program without the computer completely freezing and internet explorer opening random websites. I decided to restore my computer to factory settings today and installed the free trial of avast premier. It was working fine until I started to re download my games on steam which were downloading incredibly slow. Avast has its own firewall so I thought I should turn windows firewall off. When I tried to do this it said McAfee was controlling windows firewall. When I tried to delete McAfee nothing would happen. I guess my dell computer came preloaded with McAfee. Could McAfee be interfering with avasts firewall causing the slow download rate on steam? Any help will be greatly appreciated as I have no idea what to do.

Mouldread

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
Hello,

Antivirus programs almost never mix and match. In 95% of the cases there would be some interference. If I were you I would back up my important files, format my hard drive, install fresh Windows and use AVG Free. Never had any issues for years with AVG Free.

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
Did you try going into the steam settings and change the download loacation? Steam guesses your location based on your IP address. Mine defaulted to Cincinatti, OH although I live in PA. I live much closer to Pittsburgh than Cincinnatti.

klwiley07

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
You might try to load your games without using Steam. & i would recommend running MalwareBytes https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/ This program will not interfere with your antivirus program, Just turn off option to load at startup. I cannot use Steam w/my any of games. Am using windows 7 Ultimate

Woz12

Estimable
Feb 14, 2015
Hi, I had Steam installed, running Windows 7 Pro with Avast Pro, with no effect from Avast on Steam. As soon as I tried Playing War-Frame the downloads took literally hours, and then when up dates were finished - War-Frame wouldn't run. What to do? Google, found out Avast the problem, and came across you guys. thought about it, and found a way to make it work. Go into Steams Settings and Select Avast as an accepted program to run with Steam. I did it, and wow, downloaded everything within a few minutes. In no time I was up & running. Maybe it will work with other games. Hope this has been a help.