Solved! Avast Internet Security or Eset NOD32 Internet Security?

mwalker9888

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015
My Avast license is expiring soon and was thinking of switching to Eset. Avast has been okay for me but recently, they have been giving me popups about apps "slowing down" my pc. Although there is a don't show again option, I never enabled popups to begin with and do not want that happening again. Eset seems to have good reviews and is slightly cheaper too.

Solution

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017
Hey, thanks for reaching out. First of all, we really appreciate your support and hope you decide to stick with Avast!

In regards to the popups, this is very easy to control through Settings -> Popups, simply uncheck the box for other product offers and you're all set. Since you have an upgraded version of Avast you can disable this at any time.

In terms of pricing and features, our team has put a lot of time into license options that have a good mix of features and are affordable as well. You might want to take a look at Avast Ultimate which also bundles in Cleanup Premium, Passwords Premium, and SecureLine VPN (which may save you money!)

Also, generally, I'm happy to answer any questions you have about Avast. Thanks again for your support!

Rexer

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
I've used Avast! for 10 yrs. On the job and personally. It's does a pretty good job. I cleaned and serviced hundreds of virus infected computers. During that time, I've had a chance to use/work with several different anti-viruses but my personal preference is Avast! Granted some like Kaspersky and McAffe, Enode and Trend Micro, are very good and outstanding. But I did find some of the features in Avast! a necessary evil that's kept me using it.
One of the best features Avast! has is the 'boot scan' that allows you to run a scan before Windows boots. It's a factor that's help me remove viruses (and certain malicious software that's able to disable an anti-virus) before Windows starts. It's a nifty program.
I scour the internet nearly everyday scrounging for computer parts and junk I need. Even reading Yahoo! everyday which is known infected site. And it does finds some crappy viruses trying to invade Windows.
Avast!'s firewall does a good job of keeping viruses out my emails and warning me there's one lurking. Granted Trend Micro's stepped up their game and included a boot scan but I've yet to try it.
Heh, the biggest problem I find about using any good anti-virus programs is, depends on how proficient the user (client or customer) is. Are they willing to spend a little time learning to use it. Commonly, many users want to set and forget and it doesn't always work that way.
Learning how to update, what to do when suddenly invaded, where not to go and what not to do on the internet, when to do scans and program them plus, proper computer care (to avoid corruption) are part of keeping your computer sound. Worse, some people just plain flat refuse to learn and remark, "I just want my computer to work and read my emails". That's it. Many people still don't know the difference between a virus (ransomeware), malware and spyware.
The oldest computer I use, a first generation i7 920 in a Dell xps 435mt, still has Avast! protecting it. It'll be 10 years old, March '19.

mwalker9888

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015

I have done this but I am still getting popups across all my devices. I have set other notifications like info and update popupa to 0 since I don't need them and set warning and alert popups to 5. I still get popups like this morning for example when I closed Opera, I got a popup telling me I could use do not disturb to hide notifications. Unless this is considered a warning or an alert, I should not be seeing this notification anymore.

Rexer

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013

You're getting pop ups.. . are these from from products you use? News alerts or general announcements from sites you visited to? If they're from product manufacturers you use, you need to go into their program (the application itself) and turn off announcements (this procedure varies from program to program depending on what the application is for). Some, you have to go into Windows to the lower right hand corner to Notifications> All settings> to Apps and features. Check your product or program websites to discontinue updates.
Also depending on which internet browser you use, there are settings you need to uncheck -otherwise your browser will keep allowing pop ups to slip by.
Is the 'unwanted product' name found in Windows> Control Panel> (large icons)> Programs and Features? If so, uninstall it. Check your 'Downloads' files to see if there's an installer sitting in there. Should you find an installer in there, you may need to go into Local Disk> This PC> C: drive> Program files (x86) and get rid of it there. Careful when you go into a product file there. If it's part of your product you use, you need to 'turn it off' (the announcements) rather than get rid of the whole program file. Read the listings carefully.
Windows sometimes is complicated. Sometimes it takes a little practice to navigate. You may have to take it to a computer shop and get an experienced tech to eradicate the pop up. Not 'Best buy'.
Hope this helps.

mwalker9888

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015

Apologies that I didn't make it clear before but these popups are from Avast. I think some are coming from its components but it seems I have no way to turn these off. When I thought I disabled them by changing their popup times to 0, I still get some about using do not disturb or system cleanup (I just removed that component since I did not use it and no longer get notifications for that). I do appreciate the help though.

Rexer

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013

Try going into Avast! Cleanups> Settings> Notifications under 'General' and uncheck the 2 boxes, 'Show what's new after updating' and 'Remind me when Avast Cleanup is expiring'. The rest appears to deal with the program itself.
I don't think these will shut all pop ups down but it's a start on getting some to stop. Hope this helps.

Solution

Rexer

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Oops. Let me correct that. Avast Cleanup> Menu> Settings> Notifications> General> uncheck, 'Show what's new after updating' and 'Remind me when Avast Cleanup is expiring'.
Sorry.