Avatar Beats Dark Knight's Blu-ray Sales Records

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]jibear[/nom]I purchased it on blu-ray. Quality was outstanding!!The script and story-line was fun yet average. Overall very good movie due to the out of this world visuals.[/citation]
The same could be said for Star Wars. Avatar was a good show.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Avatar is a scifi, extraterrestrial version of Pocahontas. While a good movie the story line is dated. The special effects were great and it was very well done but the story line IS weak from the stand point that it's nothing new.

With that said, I still loved the movie and bought it on BluRay the first day it was released and have watched it twice since. There is so much to see in the movie that I pick up little details every time I watch it again.

vaskodogama

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]Avitar is hands down the greatest movie ever produced, anyone who dissagree's needs to go get there eyes and minds checked by a physician. The movie has it all, awsome visuals, Adventure, drama, Love Story, what more could you possibly ask for??????? Can't wait for the sequel..........[/citation]
COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!
there is no doubt about the success of the movie, the gross tells it, the DVD and bluray sales left no doubts.
I can't believe that I watched this movie 12 times in IMAX, and about 6-7 times a downloaded DVDSCR version.
Can't wait to get my hands on the bluray version, and then the 3D version, of course after I buy a 3D capable TV!
uhh! wanna know how james feel right now! happiness of course.

G

In other news, the Wayans brothers are currently pushing their Avatar spoof straight to DVD, hoping for a summer release. Look for "Avatard" this July!

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]lol the new BD+ was cracked by Sunday.-Get a 60$ internal BR drive. -Rent-Rip to ISO.-????-Profit![/citation]
I would but there is no good reason for me to do so!
Blu ray drive here in Bahrain is about 50 BD --> $130
Can only buy blu-ray discs here, no renting, and they also cost a heap.

wish this place was a bit more caught up on tech, I had to import my phenom 2... :(

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]Avitar is hands down the greatest movie ever produced, anyone who dissagree's needs to go get there eyes and minds checked by a physician. The movie has it all, awsome visuals, Adventure, drama, Love Story, what more could you possibly ask for??????? Can't wait for the sequel..........[/citation]

Greatest movie ever produced?

I think you may need your mind checked for that statement alone.

stratplaya

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
Not surprised it sold well. After all, there were special displays setup for it right by the tabloids.

Why buy? Rent!

C'mon. How many times are you going to watch it? It's not like it's Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I can't stand blu-ray. I dropped it from my netflix subscription because almost every new title had issues. (though its most likely the fault of Cyberlink and WinDVD [got em both] and their shoddy programming for Vista x64) I kinda wish HD-DVD made it (but with a name with less syllables)

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom]Are you kidding me? Avatar was the best movie ever. Since I watched it I shaved my 3 cats bald and had them all tattooed blue.[/citation]
lmao blue bald kitties

seriously though... I thought it was the best movie since the first Matrix movie. I just can't think of any movie I've ever liked better than the Matrix.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I'm not a fanboi when it comes to Dark Knight, but Avatard sold better? Really? That's just sad. Dark Knight is a far superior film in almost every way.

I guess it tells you a lot about the attention span of the average movie-goer.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Dark Knight is a good movie, but really its the Joker that made the movie.

I only saw most movies 1 time in theaters... maybe 2. I paid $$ to watch Avatar in 3D four times. The current Disc versions are so flat in comparisons.

ART-T

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I think that records like this are stale. Just like records for how much a movie gross's when it's in the theaters.

The reason why I fell this way is:
The population is different at any given time. And sure, knowing the exact population is impossible, but if there were 40 million people in the US in 1990 and sales for MovieX was 35 Mil. then in the year 2000 MovieY goes to 50 Mil; I think comparing that is stupid. What was the price difference in tickets between the 10 years.

There should be a way to report tickets sold (over) population. So; if there were 50 Mil people and for MovieZ there were 50 Mil tickets sold (I know that not everyone went to see it, but some people watch the move several times) you'd be able to get a success rate of the movie VS. dollars made.

This same methodolgy would go to game sales and DVD sales and BlueRay sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.