Is My HDTV Defective?

G

TV: Samsung UN40H5003AF
Sound System: Samsung HW-D550
Blu Ray Player: Samsung BD-JM57
Streaming Device: Roku 3

I am having concerns that there my be a defect with my TV. I currently use my setup in my dorm at a state university. I only use the setup to watch Blu ray movies and stream from my Roku device via Ethernet. I replaced my previous Blu Ray player with the one listed above after corrective procedures failed to resolve a stuttering issue that kept happening every 10 to 20 minutes while watching movies. The current Blu ray player, while watching The Martian movie, only stuttered at 2 approximate points and nowhere else. I have watched this same movie on a Panasonic Blu Ray player with no trouble. I am currently guessing that the playback maybe a firmware issue. I intend to watch a couple of other movies when time permits to see if i encounter more stuttering. At the beginning of the year, when I bought the Blu ray player and TV, I noticed very little to no stuttering. Also, while streaming on Roku, I have noticed an occasional stutter, but I am right now guessing it has more to do with my bandwidth than my TV. After doing a corrective procedure recommended by Samsung support, which involved disconnecting the TV while it was powered on and reconnecting the power plug after 30 second to do a hard reset, I noticed that in certain scenes, images such as character's clothing seemed to flicker in sunlight or bright lighting, not the entire image.

These are the corrective procedures that I took before I replaced the Blu ray player:
1. Updated Blu Ray Firmware and there was no firmware update available for TV
2. Connected the Blu Ray player and Roku directly to the TV instead of the speaker bar using different HDMI cables
3. Reset the TV as described above

When I got the replacement Blu ray player, I connected both it and the Roku back into the soundbar and updated the Blu ray player's firmware. When I realized that electrical interference from my desktop computer system and its components, which are located next to the TV, might have been a possible factor, I moved the TV, Blu ray player, soundbar, and Roku further away from the computer and put them on my dresser. I have just now reconnected the Blu ray player and Roku directly into the back of the TV again using another spare set of HDMI cables. If I notice any stuttering on other Blu ray discs or the Roku after this corrective measure, in addition to the flickering I just mentioned, what are the chances that my TV may be defective?

Also, my Eco Solution settings are set to off.

Thanks in advance

Solution
Looks like a straightforward panel. But, run through the menu and disable any thing that sounds like Auto Motion or Clear Motion. That is using the internal GPU of the TV to generate additional frames from the previous and following frame. Usually found on so called 120 and 240hz TVs though.

Digital noise is going to happen from time to time when using any sort of streaming device. It could be temperature problems in any of the devices that cause brief glitches when the parts go into a thermal protection mode.

HDMI is essentially a wide ethernet cable, and if a packet has to be resent you may also see the effect as well. This can be caused by random electrical noise (so shielding is good), a failure of the HDCP encryption protocol...

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Looks like a straightforward panel. But, run through the menu and disable any thing that sounds like Auto Motion or Clear Motion. That is using the internal GPU of the TV to generate additional frames from the previous and following frame. Usually found on so called 120 and 240hz TVs though.

Digital noise is going to happen from time to time when using any sort of streaming device. It could be temperature problems in any of the devices that cause brief glitches when the parts go into a thermal protection mode.

HDMI is essentially a wide ethernet cable, and if a packet has to be resent you may also see the effect as well. This can be caused by random electrical noise (so shielding is good), a failure of the HDCP encryption protocol, even bad memory on either device.

In a dorm room you might experience a lot more noise than average just because of the proximity to so many devices.

Not suggesting a Faraday cage or anything, but you never know.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS