Avatar Beats Dark Knight's Blu-ray Sales Records

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Odd what i don't see on toms is that avatar does not play on some blu-ray players because of the drm, i have this problem so does alot of other buyers.
Seems to happen on some samsung models,OPPO BDP-83,BD-P1400 plays it but stutters,Samsung BD-C6500,2K Denon,any PC blu-ray play no go,LC-42bd80u,Samsung HT-BD1250,Samsung 1400 plays but audio stutter,LG BD 570,Samsung BD5500,Sharp BD-HP24u,Sharp Aquos LC-42BD80U TV/Blu Ray Player.

Play back on these blu-ray player may be fixed by current firmware updates some are still a work in progress.

Just to show drm sucks hurts the buyer does nothing to stop piracy there is already bd rips out there the day after release.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
ART-T:
To a degree you are right... but there are many factors in determine any type of score you want.

What is fact is that AVATAR has sold record number of DVDs and BR discs. And yes, eventually - it'll be broken in the future. Or if you compare Avatar and Titanic to Gone with the Wind, yes - GWTW wins. But keep these factors in mind:
1 - All you had in the OLD days was theater and movies. No TV and then many decades later before color TV... yes, in the 70s - B&W TVs were still common.

2 - Theaters only had 1~4 screens and a good running title would run for months.

3 - Costs, yes we pay more at the theater... I think they are over-charging. AVG price in my city for a movie is $9! I only see about 1 movie a month. I usually wait until they show up at the $1 theater. If Theaters charged $5~6, I'd see 3~4 movies a month easy. So I think the movie industry are hurting themselves, somewhat.

Avatar is a very good movie, entertainment at its best. Does it make the best ever, no... as Hurt Locker won Best Picture. But as we ALL know... almost nobody has seen that movie. But then there is crap like Transformers 2 which also does record sales... nobody will never be able to get me to watch such a mess of a movie again, not even if you paid me $10. For $50, I'll watch it - if I'm allowed to fall asleep.

I enjoyed Avatar so much, I bought a ticket for a friend because he rarely ever goes out to theaters. (He went with me) And I bought my mother a ticket (3 years last time she's been to a theater) as well. So my friend later took his wife and told his friends to see it in 3D.

One of the things that makes Avatar great, is that its the first 3D movie that doesn't shove it in your FACE! "lookie lookie ! I'm in 3D" for the sake of being 3D by having balls, food, objects coming at you. Cameron used 3D to make the movie come alive with bugs, plants, everything in proper 3D. Again, very real.

Watching it on home with 2D TV... as great as it still looks, its flat. You don't feel like you're miles in the air or flying.

Also, after watching the 2nd time - I enjoyed it better because I'm not so much in awe of the visuals. So it is a good movie too.

flea420

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
A movie such as Avatar, and huge explosion eyecandy fest, said to have some of the best special effects/cgi in movies to date. Bluray, a format to bring home this great HD movie theater experience and with the capacity for tons of extras.

We get a Bluray with 1 special feature, the movie on DVD..... I think I'll pass.

bruhthakuga

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2003
I agree with one professional critic that said that what all the other critics say about the movie is correct, bad story, acting and all BUT, that he left the theater fully entertained. So, what do you go to the theater for? Huh? The part where he lands the big red bird and rubs it like he just jump out of a brand new cadilac and wiped a littl smudge off the finder, that was cheesy. . . but I loved that part. when he was down by robot dude and she squated over him with her knife ready to protect her man against the odds and hissed at him was HOT

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Just because something sells like hotcakes, or millions of people watch it, doesn't mean it's any indication of quality. X Factor would be required viewing if this was true.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
This is the bare bones edition best to wait maybe the drm won't be as bad or most blu-ray players will have firmware to play it properly because i am still waiting for a firmware upgrade.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
This is the bare bones edition best to wait maybe the drm won't be as bad or most blu-ray players will have firmware to play it properly because i am still waiting for a firmware upgrade.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
the visuals and scenery are completely amazing... with a decent/okay story line... making overall for a pretty great movie...

buying it in BlueRay and then 3D only makes sense considering the best feature of this movie is its visuals....

going to argue with those of you that was saying it wasn't a good movie but only visually amazing and also with those of you that say it was the best movie ever... this was a great movie but not exactly an amazing story line... about the same type of plot and story as the movie Dances with Wolves so nothing overly original but definitely keeps you interested throughout the movie...

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Retarded comparison. First, Dark Knight wasn't 3D. Second, if it was 3D, sorry Avatar, but you would of lost this battle. Third, If Lord of the Rings was in 3D both Dark Knight and Avatar would of lost. So....who cares about Avatar Blu-ray sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.