Avatar Becomes Most Succesful Film Ever Made

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Xenophage[/nom]#1 movie of all time in both ticket sales and inflation adjusted revenue is Gone With The Wind. #2 is Star Wars. Avatar doesn't even crack the top 10.[/citation]

trhis ios jsut a case of holywood kissing james cameron's ass crack .. the more i hear about this movie the more i think it is really just a typical turd in regards to science fiction, lets face it the best sci-fi stories /novels rarely are the "top ten" it's usually the campy trendy and less philosopical sci fi that get popular in movies and books

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Yes and no. The number of tickets sold might tell you which movie is the more popular, but it won't tell you which one is the more succesful. The success of a movie is based on the money it made. Considering that the price of tickets are not the same everywhere, the final number might change considerably. But, yeah, that's dumb to compare gross money to a movie that was made 12 years ago. I know, let's compare it to The Jazz Singer (1927), when a movie ticket costed $0,25.[/citation]

don't forget the test of time. Star Trek was one of teh least sucessufl tv';s shows in it's day .. it was killed after 3 seasons (few tv's in that era were ever canceled after only 3 seasons) the actors even thought nothign of it at the time figured they would move on to other things .. but look at where star trek is now. you ask my honest opinoon sucess is measured in more than jsut money , or ticket sales , or even adjusted gross incomes .. true sucess is sucess over time regardless of rather or not somethignw as sucessful at it's time. who knows in 50 years avatar very well may be forgoten (not liuekly witht eh itnernet ) but it still could be forgotten , while movies like gone with teh wind and Star wars will most definitely not be forgotten as they have already lasted many years in the minds of the public.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Gone with the Wind and Star Wars Episode 4 are the two most "popular" movies of all time in terms of ticket sales. Titanic isn't even in the top 5 and Avatar isn't even in the top 25 when you adjust domestic box office gross for inflation. Avatar has made a pretty penny worldwide but that's pretty easy to accomplish when the average cost of a ticket has gone up $7 since the 1970's. If you weren't alive in 1977 when Star Wars: A New Hope was released ask your parents about it. People saw it over and over and over again. Dozens of times. People who didn't even like the movie would go see it again because of how visually stunning it was. Avatar was a good movie but I wouldn't pay to see it again, at least not the $8+ that 3d cinema's want to charge. The story really isn't that original people.[/citation]
AMEN

a completely 3d movie i saw reccently already did this story pretty much for movies , think it was called "battle for Terra", that aside this has been a rehashed story in countless crappier sci-fi novels. as is aid in anoterh article avatar does nothing new just anotehrexample of a holywood big shot taking a moldy idea slapping a new face on ti and then gettign all teh back patting for it.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]rajeshsundaram[/nom]Sure. It's Gone with the Wind and Titanic. Avatar is just a mix of visual extravaganza on a clue-less storyline. Titanic was appealing because of the Ship and nicely woven storyline which touched the hearts. But avatar just touches the eye, and not the heart. Gone with the Wind - Well.. should I say anything more? It's a classic benchmark. Avatar should be considered as an example of "How marketing and Technology can create billion dollar revenue?". Nothing more than that. I like the movie for 3D and technology. But did it touched my heart? - No.[/citation]

lets see ..

Titanic .. shallow , weak love story destined to make any girl fall in love witht he movie .. it certainly didn't "touch" my heart what touches my heart are deeper things like the surrfering the jews underwent durring ww2 not some weak shallow love story about two assholes on a rich man's cruise not really original either at that.

Gone with the wind.., ok i'll admit it was much better than titanic , and the war that split our antion was touchign in how tragic it was. more original than titanic

now believe it or not .. this is what star wars was really about , it was a movie about a man (anakin skywalker) who ahd fallen to evil depths committed terrible acts ,yet in the end found redemption throguh teh love of his son. (and no i'm not talking about the context of the prequels added in , this is SOLEY goijng off just the first three films and yes the first three really were about darth vader not luke) and in all trhuth you ask me this story had much greater potential to be "touching" problem is it ahd goerge lucas as a director .. no offence to the man but even he admits he isn't the best at writing dialouge and the movies would probably have been just as great with out any dialouge LOL. the thought of this story is very touching , the execution in these movies could have used work though. the idea was certainly way more oringinal than titanic , GWWTW, or avatar

Here's an odd thought. Just as we should adjust for inflation, the number of tickets sold should be adjusted for world population at the time!

New metric: Number of tickets sold per living person.

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
If talking about most successful (in the US), you should go by ticket numbers and then divide by the most recent census. This will give you a somewhat accurate indication of how popular a movie was. If you get a number >1 it would mean that people are going to see it multiple times and thus you have yourself a very successful movie. It would also take into account the growth of the country which would enable you to compare movies made at different times.

I dont think that either titanic or avatar rank as the most successful, however between the two I definitely think avatar is a better movie and has sold more tickets or will end up selling more tickets.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Not even sure you can count ticket sales, today's market is very different than when all of the other great movie releases. Today's people entertain themselves very different from years past. There is a lot more competing for their free time money. I would argue that for Avatar to even do as well as it is doing today, it is more of a success already.

Not to mention Avatar is trying something very new, Titanic was just another movie, too long at that. There are not many times I say to myself, I think I will sit back and relax to another viewing of Titanic... Its replay value is horrible. But I already want to see Avatar again just to see what I missed the first time, I saw twice in the theatre of which I know many who have easily surpassed that. I predict it will easily pass any of those before it, even with figure compensation...

G

Avatar is NOT ranked 26 in terms of ticket sales. You are forgetting that the ranking on http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm is based on US data only. But most of Avatar's sales are foreign. In terms of total worldwide tickets sold, Avatar is about 7th (around 250 million tickets). Titanic is 2nd, after Gone with the Wind.

D2ModPlayer

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Demographics were different back then. Star Trek the original series was actually popular. And it had infinite reruns, not many shows can do that. Once they got the new demographics back they actually were making another Star Trek show but decided instead to make a movie. And that was before Next Generation.

Avatar was successful. Very successful. But I agree it falls short because of inflation.

G

It seems obvious to me, perhaps so plain that we miss it, that the underlying cause for so much debate on the subject lies in the ambiguous nature of the question "Which movie is the most successful of all time?" The word success is the ultimate source of the ambiguity here, since it contains so many connotations and evokes such a variety of conceptions about its meaning, that it becomes nearly impossible to acquire a general consensus as to which meaning is intended in the context of the question. Indeed the word success has no clearly dilineated boundaries. This ambiguity in definition leaves the reader free to insert a particular definition or conception which fits a preconceived notion of what success is to them, thus rendering the question as a sort of open-ended universe of possiblities, with virtually limitless responses able to function as legitimate within it. In order to render the question more specific and conducive to discovery of fact, the word success must be defined by certain criteria, or replaced altogether, or the question reworded with a more focused, well-defined inquiry, such as the many examples offered by others here.

G

everyone is talking about how tickets used to be a lot cheaper, why doesnt anyone mention the fact that there were so much less downloading in those days too?
For me avatar done so much better than all

G

No offence to anyone, I've seen, for the most part, all of these movies,and after seeing Avatar, I'd say its the best out there... I watched it 2 times the next day after I got it on dvd lol, but thats MY OPIONION... Avatar was just AMAZING to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.