AverMedia Live Gamer Portable probably makes my screen tear while connected to the Laptop, any idea how to fix?

DrugDeatox

Estimable
Sep 5, 2014
Hello, I got myself LGP and the problem in a nutshell:
My Avermedia LGP is connected to my laptop via HDMI cable. I got Toshiba Qosmio X870-13D.
http://www.toshiba.eu/discontinued-products/qosmio-x870-13d/ - here is the link for the laptop and his specs.

And the problem is when I play without my Avermedia LGP connected everything is perfectly fine screen tearing wise, never had many problems with framerate, but when I get it connected via HDMI, all of a sudden I get screen tearing in games like - Dark Souls 2, TES:Skyrim.

The resulting footage that is recorded looks perfectly fine, no tearing in it, but when I am playing the little tearing going on my screen drives me mad.

I got my VSync forced on in my Nvidia Control panel and even tried turning tripple buffering on, doesn't really help.

Another thing is that Avermedia LGP recors at 30 FPS and oh well my game is going beyond that apparently, so I suppose another question to one bellow will be: Any way how to maintain above 30 FPS framerate while recording footage that is 30 FPS via Avermedia LGP? I checked via FRAPS the framerate I have when playing while recording and it's around 50ish.

So yeah I wonder if anyone can give me any tips how to fix this problem, beside disconnecting the cursed box.

Thank you for your time and patience, cheers!
DK

Solution
These capture cards are limited to 30FPS at 1080 I believe, which will cause screen tearing if your laptop is running at 50fps. To be perfectly honest the hardware in those capture cards aren't very good at all. The only way to fix this that I'm aware of would be to use some sort of software to limit the framerate to 30fps. You can do this with FRAPS, but obviously then you'd be stuck recording it with that as well, which will eat up HD space and other resources. There might be an "adaptive" vsync option in your nvidia control panel, you could try that. Additionally you could try downloading MSI Afterburner, which has a framerate lock function, but it may require you to use video capture as well for it to work. A lot of games also will...

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
These capture cards are limited to 30FPS at 1080 I believe, which will cause screen tearing if your laptop is running at 50fps. To be perfectly honest the hardware in those capture cards aren't very good at all. The only way to fix this that I'm aware of would be to use some sort of software to limit the framerate to 30fps. You can do this with FRAPS, but obviously then you'd be stuck recording it with that as well, which will eat up HD space and other resources. There might be an "adaptive" vsync option in your nvidia control panel, you could try that. Additionally you could try downloading MSI Afterburner, which has a framerate lock function, but it may require you to use video capture as well for it to work. A lot of games also will have an option in the .cfg file to limit the framerate, but this often differs with each game.

I've also heard of a program called nvidia inspector that can supposedly limit frame rates, but I've never used it before myself. It might be worth checking out though.

Solution