Solved! Avira causing videogame crashes?

Dec 5, 2018
My games keep crashing after like 5-10 minutes of playing, and its annoying me to no end. I've completely uninstalled Avira now and I'm currently using Avast. That didnt help, so i tried reinstalling my games, also didnt work. I've done the SFC /SCANNOW thing, didnt work.

Could it have messed with my graphics drivers? Or windows settings? My games used to work fine until I installed Avira, and nothing else changed on my pc.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to proceed? I'm in the dark here :(

Update:
Not sure which system specs are needed because im a computer noob, but heres some:

win10 64 bit
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 8core processor
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 graphics card
B450 Aorus pro motherboard (i think)

Solution

This doesn't sound like...
Dec 5, 2018

nah i thought "hm, i still need a virus scanner" because i fairly recently bought this pc and it didnt have one other than the win10 one

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017

This doesn't sound like an issue with antivirus (either Avast or Avira) since the problem is persisting even without antivirus installed -- you've basically ruled that out :)

When your games "crash," what happens exactly? Do you see any kind of error message, and is it the same or different? Does it happen with all games you are playing or only certain ones?

Do you see any kind of visual distortion or artifacting? I ask this specifically because I've seen this happen on gaming systems that are underpowered. Your system works normally otherwise, but when you launch a game (and your GPU kicks in) the game crashes. What kind of power supply do you have?

You may also want to try a clean uninstall and reinstall of your NVIDIA drivers, and check to see if your motherboard has any available firmware updates.

All in all, if you've completely uninstalled your AV programs and this problem is persisting, I'd start by then ruling out the graphics drivers, and then move on to diagnosing if there are any hardware issues.

Solution