Avira Free Antivirus keeps blocking the same file over and over again?

Mr Burns

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
So Avira keeps blocking access to this file whenever I try to run it. I know the file is safe, it's a false positive and I need it to run my software. Whenever I launch the software Avira pops up saying it blocked a particular file and then an error message comes up saying the software won't run.

I then have to click on "details" then it takes 5 minutes to scan my system then two files come up. When I right click on the first one, it get several options such as quarantine, remove, ignore, always ignore. I choose always ignore. When I right click the other file, I get just 2 options: Ignore and Quarantine - So I click ignore.

This works, until I reboot my system...

Then it happens all over again..

I looked at Avira's help file, and apparently, the "ignore" option only ignores the file once and the "always ignore" file ignores the file - but only until the next reboot.

How do I get it to "always ignore" it forever????

You cannot exclude specific files from detection in Avira, but you can exclude certain file types. The file to launch the software is a .exe file, so I excluded .exe files from Real Time Scanning. Low and behold, it hasn't worked :(

Is there anything I can do?

Solution
1. You contact the vendor
http://www.avira.com/en/contact

2. The confidence level you can place in that depends on a) what the anti-malware product is indented to do and b) the quality of the product,. Specific tools are often intended to detect adware, spyware or other specific threads but not necessarily viruses.

3. The 3rd option of course is a web search via yahoo / google on the such as "[file name] false positive". It is highly unlikely that you are the 1st one to encounter this behavior if it is in fact a FP.

I recently had an issue with BitDefender whereby it suddenly started flagging a file in the backup file of my e-mail backup archive. This is weird.

a) It had no issue at all with the file when it looked at it as...

Mr Burns

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012

1. No. How do I do this?

2. Yes, and no other antimalware product installed on my pc has detected the file as malicious.

1. You contact the vendor
http://www.avira.com/en/contact

2. The confidence level you can place in that depends on a) what the anti-malware product is indented to do and b) the quality of the product,. Specific tools are often intended to detect adware, spyware or other specific threads but not necessarily viruses.

3. The 3rd option of course is a web search via yahoo / google on the such as "[file name] false positive". It is highly unlikely that you are the 1st one to encounter this behavior if it is in fact a FP.

I recently had an issue with BitDefender whereby it suddenly started flagging a file in the backup file of my e-mail backup archive. This is weird.

a) It had no issue at all with the file when it looked at it as an e-mail attachment.
b) It had no issue with the file after it was downloaded and placed in the appropriate file folder.
c) It had no issue with the 2009 file in the 6 months previous since installing BD.
d) It only had in issue with the file in the backup compressed file which of my entire e-mail archive which holds 6 years of e-mails on 4 different accounts in a single pcv file (Mozbackup)

Solution

Mr Burns

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012

I have been on the Avira website. Turns out it is possible to exclude specific files from both on-demand and real-time scanning, I just hadn't looked hard enough.

https://answers.avira.com/en/question/can-i-exclude-files-or-processes-from-scanning--9188?sh=true

Anyway, your answer was very helpful. Thanks for your help.